Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjm1027_gw

Home Made Yogurt Problem

sjm1027
11 years ago

I am making yogurt in a new Cuisinart Yogurt maker and when I made it overnight it seemed to have turned more solid than usual with lots of liquid.
I used Marshall M-50 rennet, very little.

The way this new machine works you just add well mixed skim milk, dry milk and rennet.

Recipe i used:
I used 4 cups skim milk
1/2 cup of dry fat free milk
1/16th tablet of rennet (Marshall M-50)

8.5 hours later I had a solid at the bottom of a lot of whey, Smells great, tastes great but it is the consistency of farmers cheese or cream cheese.

Please help if you can :) I would like a thinner yogurt with the same sweet taste.

Thanks
Steve

Comments (6)

• organic_flutterby
    10 years ago

I use to make yogurt quite often, although not with a machine so I can't really advise about that.

Straining the yogurt for several hours/overnight will produce a thicker greek style yogurt. You can stop the straining when the yogurt is the consistency you want. Again, I don't know how the machine works though. You should be able to stir some whey back into it for a thinner yogurt.

• organic_flutterby
    10 years ago

I use to make yogurt quite often, although not with a machine so I can't really advise about that.

Straining the yogurt for several hours/overnight will produce a thicker greek style yogurt. You can stop the straining when the yogurt is the consistency you want. Again, I don't know how the machine works though. You should be able to stir some whey back into it for a thinner yogurt.

• dorthey4
    9 years ago

I make yogurt about once a week. Have never used a machine or rennet. Heat four cups of 2% milk to 180, remove from heat and cool to 120. Whisk in 2-3 tbls yogurt starter (store bought plain yogurt that contains active bacterial culture, most do) Put in glass container and either put in oven with light on for 8-12 hours or place jar on heating pat set to low, cover with a towel and cover that with a large pot for 8-12 hours. Works every time. You can freeze left over starter in ice cube trays and then put in plastic bags.

• Steph
    8 years ago

You put rennet in your yogurt, and no yogurt starter? Is this a different kind of yogurt from what I think of as yogurt (milk that is fermented with L. bulgaricus and similar bacteria)?

• Mary Embee
    4 years ago

I make mine the way dothey4(3) makes hers. I have been doing this for at least 40 years, and it never fails. When my grandmother taught me, she said to bring the milk (usually at least 1/2 gallon) up to a soft boil, immediately remove it from the heat, and when you could circle the pot 10 times with your baby finger, it was done.

That's when you would add some of the warm milk to about 1/2 C of yogurt to temper it, and when the mild was warm, you then stirred it in the pot. She had a blanket she used to wrap the lidded pot, and then put it into the oven, overnight. In the morning, drain the whey, and it's done. Note: the yogurt takes on the same sour taste as the starter you use, so be sure you like the brand you buy.

Interesting note: when you cook with yogurt (entirely a different subject: fabulous soups using yogurt as the base, you only stir in one direction. I can't remember why, but it was something about the strands setting in one pattern. Anyway, it won't curdle if you follow that, and be careful not to bring it up to a rolling boil.

• ocwormgirl
    3 years ago

I thought rennet was for making cheese???? At least that is what I use when I make mozzarella/ricotta. Live active cultures (lacto…….) are for making yogurt. Usually you have to start with store bought yogurt with live cultures to make your first batch. After that you can use a bit of your own as the starter for the next batch.

Good luck

J

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm