Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike758_gw

Where is the best place to buy farm land?

mike758
10 years ago

I'm currently somewhat young and I live in a former country town, now suburbs in southeast Pennsylvania, becoming more and more dense. I want to escape the over development and even start my own farm. I also want to live an "off the grid" lifestyle. Now whether this farm will be more of a hobby farm or my main source of income is still in debate now, I still have to learn more about the lifestyle to determine that. I may even go into a help exchange program to learn more about farming. I do have agriculture experience, I just have never lived on a farm.

Anyway, when you talk about either escaping the over development or starting a farm, people always say to "head west". The question is where? I know in my town the only remaining farms are rich horse farms, because land is worth about 50,000 an acre taxes are really high. Even some of the rural areas around me in Pennsylvania and New Jersey are still pretty expensive to buy land from, and they constantly face pressure of development.

I'm looking for a realistic place to live that has affordable farmland, cheap taxes, and where I wouldn't have to worry about developments going up suddenly. I also don't care if I have to live on the other side of the country either, it might sound like I want to stay local but I seriously don't care. I don't think there even are good places to start a farm on the east coast.

Comments (22)

• friedgreentom
    10 years ago

hi Mike, Are you going to raise; live stock?, garden? They have water shortage in many places to the west. Your looking in the high dollar area's. There are much more reasonable properties.

I can only tell about NY, There are lots of farms here very cheap to buy, like $30,000 for about 8 acres. They are older homes so the taxes arent much. There is money to be made easily. Yet the towns are small, like population 600. The people are great too, excellent schools. Winters can be cold, but it kills the bugs off. Our soil is like black gold, rainfall perfect.

Where you go is dependent on what you plan to do when you get there.
    Mea

• mike758
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I plan to do both. Like I said I'm still young and don't have a plan set in stone, but I would like to both grow crops and raise livestock. New York actually may be nice because I would still be somewhat close to my folks at home. Are there any specific areas there you would recommend?

• hamchuk
    10 years ago

I've heard that TN is a great place b/c they're pretty lenient on building codes in general, pretty good soil, you can grow almost year round if not actually year round, and lots of rural land available. Rivers as well and low population density. Definitely worth checking out.

• thewallawallaian89
    9 years ago

Walla Walla Washington of course! there are plenty of places, land, lots, and area here!

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I'm thinking upstate New York. It is pristine up there. Very friendly people. The soil should be great without adding anything altho that would help things grow better. It seems like a great area to live. Low crime, no traffic, etc. Fresh air. God's country!

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

I think TN would fit the bill for you. If you own more than 15 acres, there is no property tax on the land and the property taxes on your home are one of the lowest states. (Investment and sales taxes are higher though.)

It has four seasons but winter is much shorter than you are used to.

• jagchaser
    9 years ago

I sold a bunch of 10 acre parcels in 2007 for 8-9k each in Central Nebraska. Rain can be short at times, but ground water is Nebraska's strong suit. Windier here than you would be used to and probably colder. Lots less people. Nebraska has more cows than people.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Did you buy your land yet?

• pensrick
    9 years ago

go much father west. there was a good reason my great great grandmother walked from st Louis to the Willamette valley in 1850. mild winter but cold enough to kill the pests. warm enough to grow almost anything. no sales tax but has income tax. look south of Salem

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

What bugs get killed off in your cold winters? The year round growing season

In southeast Texas is great. you can have greens all winter. Watermelons on

The 4th of July. Check the growing charts you plant your garden twice a year.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Your chickens eat the bugs.

• Anil Raj
    8 years ago

Dear Friends,

I am not a US citizen but i`m looking to buy some farm land would want to spend my life post retirement(which is 5 yrs from now) farming. I have few questions, any help is greatly appriciated.

1. can a non US citizen buy farm land. whould I be eligible for some visa ?

2. which states should I be looking at in buying my proprty

3. considering that I have very little knowledge in farming, any additional helpul information would be great.

• zzackey
    8 years ago

Why don't you want to be a citizen?

• ryseryse_2004
    8 years ago

We moved from northern IL to SW Tennessee in Jan. We bought 13 acres and the soil is fairly good but needs to be worked since it never has been. As far as bugs go, it is July and we have yet to see a mosquito. We had man-eating ones in IL. Also, in IL, Japanese Beetles were a major problem and so far I have not seen those either. The Amish farms sure are flourishing so the soil is suitable for crops if you want to work.

• zzackey
    8 years ago

Do you live in a small town? How cold does it get there in the winter?

• bigdually
    8 years ago

I've lived in Michigan, Louisiana,Texas, and now kentucky and still waiting to see a bug kill off from cold weather

• zzackey
    8 years ago

Good luck with that. We don't get that here in Georgia. You need to till your soil in the fall to disturb them from wintering over.

• Annabell Hearn
    4 years ago

I would like to build a farm as well. As my income as well as my love nature and being outside of town. Did you ever make that farm?

• HU-357842260
    3 years ago

Florida maned New Yorker looking 3-4 acres to have a private homes maybe a farm

suggestions in United States Not that cold weather 530bmw@live.com lmk

• Jan Arnold
    2 years ago

Anywhere u want, ha-ha :)

• Jan Arnold
    2 years ago

It is best to choose the land where it is most fertile, and the climate is suitable. To find out this information, now everything is written on the Internet, where it is best to buy land and at what price. Yes, a friend of mine had land in New Jersey and sold it very dearly. And I bought a new apartment in the city... Recently I came across an article about Angus embryos for sale. And I was stunned when I learned that many farmers now buy animal embryos and grow them on their farms. I've never heard of it. Do many people already raise their own cattle in this way?

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler