Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollymolecule

Seed starting time!

hollymolecule
21 years ago

Well, it's happened again- last summer I swore to let the critters eat everything and to just buy veggies at the store. HA! Now that the new year has come I'm filled with the kind of optimism that only a gardener can have- I'm ready to start a whole army of seeds! I'm curious as to what everyone's planning for the year. I know I'm a little early down here in Southern California, but it's never too early to dream...

Before it gets too hot here, I'm going to try for one more round of lettuce, spiniach, snow peas and beets. After that- tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, tomatillos, and ....I don't know. I want to plant everything! What are your favs? Holly

Comments (8)

• Jwj__
    21 years ago

HI Holly,
    weeelll thats a big question,, favs,,hmmm,, well since we do a greenhouse we are just getting ready to gear up starting mid febuary, This year I am aiming towards plants for the northern climates, you know maters and peppers that handle the short growing season cooler nights, I get alot more harvest if I pick veges carefully,,Since I am in the Montana rockies I have a very differnt type of growing season then yours. My actual gardens do not go in until after june 1st,,so I have plenty of planning and drooling over catalog times left,, LOl,,
    will think about the favorites and let ya know,hmmmmm
    Jwj

• tnflowergal
    20 years ago

I'm going to get started winter sowing my tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers. Later I'll do squash and cukes.

Trenetta

• Patriz
    20 years ago

My veggie garden this year will be broccoli, tomatoes, lettuce, eggplant, peas, sugar snap peas, pole and bush beans, cucumber, and herbs :)

• hunter_tx
    20 years ago

Well, Holly, it sounds like your favorites list is mine as well (with the exception of the beets, lol). I'm Winter-sowing some of my stuff this year, and have planted spinach and onions. The snow peas go in the ground next week (just because I didn't have time to do it today). I still haven't ordered Sungold tomato seeds yet, and need to get on it, or I'll regret it. Lettuce seeds will get planted next week also. Can't wait for the season to really get going.
    Mrs H

• gardengardengardenga
    20 years ago

There is about 12" of ice 50 feet from my door (pond is frozen), I couldnt plant anything right now outside even with a back hoe!lol DH wants to go on holiday and go somewhere warm.
    ON the winter solice I started a greenhouse full of seeds and cuttings and dont want to go or travel anywhere...I would love to dig a garden right into the ground in the green house and grow tomatoes! DH is a landscaper not a seed grower! We are going to NEGrows tomorrow for 3 days...

When I read about zone 7 8 getting into the soil I want you to know I feel the joy with you! And I experience jealousy, anticipation, anxiety, and clam all at once. Gardening has that way with me!

• iloveroosters
    20 years ago

Yes, the snow is preventing me from getting into the ground as well. It's really early in NH to plan for that, however, I have been through my seed catalogs and garden supply catalogs dreaming of warm sunny days and green grass! This year I think I'm going to concentrate on tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, green beans and pumpkins. I also have a strawberry patch, blueberries which never amount to anything, and red and kiwi gold raspberries, which do pretty well. Although the wild blackberries in the backyard field brought me enough to make jam!

• CindyBelleZ6NJ
    20 years ago

The winter sowing technique works very well, especially for those of you with long winters. You might want to check out the FAQ at the top of the forum-I had about 95% germination last year, no germination on my herbs, could have been the seeds/ the soil, but this year I will Spring Sow those.

• hollymolecule
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow, it's been forever since I've checked in on this forum,and it's funny to read what I wrote LAST YEAR already! This year I started the seed army once again, only to have the weather laugh in my face with the coldest, wettest spring I've seen here in socal. I had almost 0% germination on the tomatoes and very little luck with peppers, eggplant, or beans!!! So, gasp! I bought the six packs from the farmers market, and everything's just starting to get going. Really good luck with parsley and cilantro seeds, and the basil from last year self-seeded in the garden. This morning I just pulled the last of the beets from the big barrel I grew them in, fried the greens in bacon fat for lunch, and am going to make soup tomorrow with the roots. Mrs H- you should really eat your beets! Just kidding. My husband won't touch them either. More for me! Good luck to all of you in the northern climes. HM

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor