Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmfreedom

cheapest land per acre in the U.S.A.

farmfreedom
18 years ago

Where is cheapest land per acre in the U.S.A. ???

I can relocate anywhere . No hazardous waste dumps please .

no "wetlands" please . What are the drawbacks ? I will consider any state or territory .

Comments (107)

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A few suggestions:

Call the electric company. They will have a line for new construction. You ask them how much it costs to bring a line in. But sit down and hold onto your hat before you ask. My last quote was $30,000 to bring the power half a mile. That's makes a generator look pretty good.

Call local well drillers or the local water master. They will know how deep the local wells are and if you can even get a permit to drill a well.

In some areas you can not drill a well, and in other areas you can only have a well for household use, no irrigation. Every drop of water everywhere in the USA belongs to someone. You can't just take it.

The county planning and development will tell you what can be built, what the regs are for mobile homes (check age restrictions, if you plan to buy a used one)

I've never had a county assessor's office be anything but polite and give me owner's information when I called them. Did you phone? If you are going out there, you can walk into the office. Yes, definitely verify ownership and insist that the sale goes through escrow and you definitely want to buy title insurance, even on a cheap purchase.

• corrie_anderson_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

My family & I are looking for inexpensive land-100 acres or more-but at the same time it has to be able to grow crops & carry livestock- as well as keep wildlife sustained.

Our purpose is quite simple- we want to get back to the basics of life- completely self sustaining!

We want to be able to have organic free range chickens, ducks, goats for milk & other dairy needs, sheep for milk, meat, & wool- as well as cash crops- all to be stored for personal use & sold for income.

We also would like to eventually (years down the line) be able to open a holistic healing center that takes payments for services in kind- like communities use to do!

You have no money- what can you offer in place of money? Do you raise chickens, grow crops we don't- we give you services for the commerce you have to offer-

We feel that had our society not become so monetarily minded, we wouldn't have half of the problems we have- & our kids would not be facing a future in the middle-class slave trade just to keep the heat on!

Nevertheless....

**We've been looking in Kentucky & West Virginia-We are not opposed to snow, in fact we quite enjoy it- but DO NOT want to be snowed under for most of the year!

**Ideally we'd like to be about 20-45 mins out from a small town; 1-1 1/2 hrs from a good size city. We want seclusion but accessibility, should we choose to use it!

**We want to have at least 1 stream on the property- water is a must for survival & homesteading-

**We would also like the land to have a combination of options - ie: some flat for building & some hilly/mountainous regions- & although I'd LOVE to have a cave on the property- its not a necessity! :-D

Having said that, I need help finding the right sites to look on- I am by no means a computer guru & everything that I find is Broker run- & we all know that their commission means higher cost to the buyer!

Unfortunately, every time I try to find foreclosed or tax seized property, I end up on sites that want you to pay for any information. I know that there are ways to get the info wo going through them, but I haven't a clue how to access it!

I hope this info is helpful- I would be so eternally grateful for any support I can get with this venture!

Thanks so much-

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Once you have a location in mind, you can search Craigslist real estate for sale by owner.

Gotta tell you, sometimes (often) FSBO is more expensive than what is listed with a real estate agent. The agent tries to talk the seller into trying for a realistic price.

All foreclosures are going to be through an agent. That's the way it is done.

HUD lists their own foreclosures on their website and there are some good bargains there.

I think I've got address for a couple of sites where you can see foreclosures listed for free. I would NOT pay for that information.

If you know what county, foreclosures will be listed at the county offices, because they require legal paperwork to be filed.

Also, most banks will have a list of their own foreclosures on the web. Search by each bank individually.

Counties will give you a listing of their tax sale properties. Be aware that in most states, you are buying a tax certificate and not the land. You will have to wait out the redemption period and then foreclose. The property might come with unpaid liens. Don't buy at tax sales without learning every single detail of how it works. Do not assume you know what you are doing because of what you've heard about it.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

For foreclosures, you can try this website. If they just hint around at the property and don't give the listing or the bank, simply check with the county, or with a local real estate agent that handles foreclosures. All foreclosures are sold through agents. There is no reason to pay for information.

For the sales on the courthouse steps, sometimes you can buy, but often the bank buys back and then lists the property with an agent. Don't buy on the courthouse steps unless you've done a title search beforehand.

http://www. all-foreclosures.com/reolist.htm

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Realtor.com will give you a listing of most properties for sale in an area.

RealtyTimes will give you some names of local agents plus a market report on local sales conditions.

• retrogeek42
    13 years ago

I stumbled across this site through a Google search.

If you are looking for cheap, tillable land, I suggest the Texas Panhandle. We live "in town" in a community just under 1,000 pop, and our home (purchased through tax bid for $370) appraises at $8600...for a 2 (LARGE!) bedroom home with 300 sq. foot basement...total living area of about 1500 square feet. The total lot size is about 1/4 acre.

Most land needs to be purchased in larger acreages, but land in the small towns or on the outskirts of these towns goes for a pittance. And the area where I live is about an hour from Amarillo, so employment options are relatively strong, as unemployment in the area is roughly 5%.

• Nature4Me
    13 years ago

Hi-

Just a few things....

1st) Thank you for all of the input I am getting - Any & all information is helpful & much appreciated.

2nd) To Retrogeek42 - if you would be kind enough to give the website you found through google, I would very much appreciate that as well!

3rd) I received an email from a individual named Sofia Duncan, stating that she read my post & asked that I email her from my personal email. I don't want to come across as paranoid. However, I am a bit leary of giving out my personal email &/or any other personal info w/o being able to verify who the person is. If anyone knows this person, has information on her, or you yourself are on here & can post a message on the board letting me know what your member name is, I would feel better about talking to you one on one!

Thanks again for all the info- PLEASE keep it coming!
    Happy New Year To ALL!!!

• p_mayall_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for information on inexpensive property to raise goats, vegetables, fruit trees, that is a few miles from a small town, and about 25 miles from a med-size city somewhere in the South. I am looking for mainly flat to rolling acreage between 5 to 10 acres. I am looking for a place that is friendly and accepts outsiders. I presently live in a small town in Kentucky, but the people do not like outsiders and are not very friendly. Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

• waltthechipman_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have lived in sw tx/nm now for 10 years.there property in orla tx area for 50.00 per ac.you just have to look.yes 50.00 per acre 5 ac and up.and west of orla tx to van horn thats 100 miles worth.the prices are climbing and taxs are cheap.remember it is desert land.water is in tanks and most the time no electric close by.ward county has a ton of 5 ac parcels for 1000. +-.google van horn or ward county
    hope this helps all who want cheap land.

• farmfreedom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for being specific as I have asked from the beginning. Can you get any of this land with alodial title? YOU HAVE BEEN THE GREATEST HELP OF ALL .

• landwatcher
    12 years ago

WARNING....If you even attempt to buy land in Van Horn, Texas, be sure to check the land owner.

A fella named Glenn Rankle has land there, for sale, to which he will never give you the ownership to.
    It was 4000 for 40 acres back in the late 70's and early 80's and after I paid him off (including interest at 9% (This was back in the 80's remember and interest was NOT at 9%) he sent me a letter telling me I still had to pay, yet another 4000 (plus interest). I told him where to get off, and he is still trying to pull this crap, selling that same old useless land.
    Water is available at a depth of 500 feet. YES!!! 5 Hundred feet.
    No electricity is available and only windmills are used and they are 25 footers or larger. There was only one, within a 20 mile radius. Callte can only eat scrub oaks, which are not even available this year due to severe drought coinditions and probably not available for the next few years until it comes back, and even then it is few and far between. The soil is not sandy or loamy but ROCKS!!!
    I know of no crops being grown there, and there are no ther ground water sources available.
    Glenn Rankle rips people off around the U.S and that fact can be found by googling his name and doing your research.
    This jerk made millions off of unsuspecting people getting ripped off and he continues to this day. If I remmeber correectly the name of the ranch he was selling off was the Wolf Creek Ranch or something similar.

My main point is to research the land before you buy it, who is selling it, and what is there reputation. Are there any minerals, where and how much water is available, and HOW is it available.
    Is there any electrical available, are there any cell towers in the area, and how far away are they. How about emergency services, etc.
    Last but not least, make sure there are no incumberences, no levy's, and that your contract is ron clad, down to the letter, or people like Rankle will rip your money right out from under you. My total loss to the rat ba$tard was around 9000.00 for a worthless pile of junk land, which it still is, to this day.

• landwatcher
    12 years ago

by the way, minerals only give you rights down a few hundred feet. 500 feet and you would have to pay for the right to access that water. The windmill & tower would cost around 5-8 thousand dollars, not including the 1-inch steel rods you would need to pump that water, at that depth, the pump and standing barrel at the bottom, not to mention drilling of the well, casing, cementing in the casing, water holding tanks, etc. and then it would have to be filtered, because of the steel. And THAT is if the water aquifer is in your area, which is less than a 50/50 chance.

Just be aware of Glenn Rankle and his tricks. He is definitely a rip off artist. Look him up.

sorry for the mispelled words, as I should have proofread it before posting it.

• landwatcher
    12 years ago

to find out about Glen Rankle, check this link

http://whois.domaintools.com/grland.com

Notice how many times he has changed his website (over 50) and how many times he has done other things to try and hide (over 100)

He has 5 other websites, and is supposed to be a realestate dealer in California.
    Fat chance anyone should ever buy anything from this jerk.

Here is a link that might be useful: glen rankle

• fesrigohl
    12 years ago

Looking for small acerage in mid to southern east of PA.. ie Nothumberland. Ag or NO zoning. I am a professional dog breeder ( 50 title holders, inc. Best In Show winners).
    BUT PA ranks ALL dog related matters as PUPPY FARMS ie the Amish and others that keep dogs like chickens in cages and do NO quality control. Taxes in NJ became impossible & I had to sell my property. At 70 I could no longer have a night job and work in the kennel all day. I do NOT want to board dogs. I never sell wholesale or on breeders terms or give full AKC regs unless the dogs is shown to Ch title & passes all health checks, etc.. People need to learn & pay their dues before breeding. I also need privacy. I don't want to bother anyone. I found two great places, but they were both in New Ringold and they treated me as if I had leprosy !! I saw 3 kennels in Skuylkill Co. that I would not accept FREE. They were licensed but WAY below anything I would take as a gift. I don't want anyone elses kennel. Mine was exceptional. I don't really want the type of set up most would have. I want longggg runs, exercise paddocks and self in-out for the dogs. I whelp and raise the puppies in my house. They have 24 hour supervision until they are 3 to 4 weeks and eating from a bowl. I breed little but the best. I tell you this so you know any time you spend sending me info is not feeding selfish desires. www.SrigoRottweilers.net . I chose the area mewntioned as it is not so far removed from my client base of the East coast. In addition to Rottweilers I will have an Italian pointing breed and an English breed smaller than a Pembroke Welsh Corgi that herds and rats. I have owned other rare breeds of BiS quality in the past & expect to do the same with these breeds. Any suitable info will be appreciated. When I travel to see re i MUST TAKE MY 4 DOGS WITH ME.. it is VERY difficult !!

• finquerito
    12 years ago

I want to buy a house and a small piece of land, probably in florida. For retirement.

Any good ideas.

• THEPLANTZOMBIES
    12 years ago

Been lurking on this big giant thread a little bit. Friicking INFORMATIONAL OVERLOAD! LOL! Yah But Im in the same boat. Good Stuff... Trying to find an area in Illinois that has no population around it for 5 square miles. Not necessarilly buy all that acreage, jsut have a central plot enveloped in all that abject desolation. Well any ideas how to do this for $5000-$15000? Any Tips on...Shawnee National Forrest, or Rent Vacant FarmStead, or Governmetal permits passes, or Leasing Privately owned hunting property, or Renting Cabin plot retreat, or PiggyBacking on someone elses prop, or just out right buying or renting of OFF GRID property? This Is going to be used for a GREEN BIOsphere of sorts.

• felin
    12 years ago

Just reading this thread for first time.

Curious, farmfreedom, if you've yet purchased your land?

• HawkNo1
    12 years ago

I am looking for cheap land because I want to build a Earthship type home like found in the YouTube Documentary called "Garbage Warrior" I also like what I saw on 1,000,000 lbs of food, 10,000 fish and 500 yards of compost on 3 acres per year. It also was at YouTube. On Three acres you can make a good living, feed your family organically and heat your home and cool it and supply your own electrical, water and sewage needs for nothing. That is what I want land for. I also like the Earthbag homes.

You can be completely self sufficient in a few short years this way. You would not make any pollution foot print on this planet and you would have all your needs taken care of. You could probably do this easily with just 2 acres. Especially with all this vertical gardening stuff out there. You need to research this yourselves. Enjoy.

• THEPLANTZOMBIES
    12 years ago

Any realtors in Illinois that specialize in OFF GRID?

• cheyenne
    12 years ago

Like argamonius I too love goats! I'll probably start out with five acres, a few goats, a cabin, SMALL barn and a greenhouse in NE Washington State or Northwestern Cali.

In the future I'll be looking for between 40-160 unbuilt acres for homestead with goats, horses, trees, pasture, access to water, near small town and hour or so from big town (not city). Low-no land tax and no restrictive codes as regards fencing or building. I need room to build an arena for horses, a barn and greenhouse and still have room for pasture and field. I'd like to have a few small houses rather than one large one, not to subdivide but to have homes for relatives or friends interested in helping out in exchange for rent or horse boarding, whatever. Doesn't that sound nice?

Ideally this would be in Northern Cali. but Eastern Washington near Idaho would be good too.

Actually this is so specific I really enjoy trolling the real estate sites for these two areas. The restrictions on land/water use are so scary for me, imagine planning largish scale construction and having to stop and regroup because you found your plans weren't kosher!

• obywan
    11 years ago

I was reading this thread and would like to contribute. I think the documentary Garbage Warrior on Youtube would be of interest to you all. You can also go to Earthship(dot)com for more info. You can also watch Earthship seminar Part 1 and 2 on Youtube for more detailed info. It is possible to live off the grid with no well and no utilities coming into your home. You can grow food indoors year round including citrus and bananas even if you live in a cold climate. It is all explained in the above links.

• topsiebeezelbub
    11 years ago

Costillo county in southern Colorado is very cheap land, but be sure there is water available. It is near the Great Sand Dunes Nat. Park and not too far from Santa Fe New Mexico, so I think it will be worth a lot more someday. I remember seeing giant tomato farms there as a kid, but is just desert with no water. Great place to build an earthship and harvest snow in a cistern.

• Doglips
    11 years ago

I'm looking to buy land on the moon, can u guys recommend a good location? I'll move there, I'll do it.

• SantaBarbaraChris
    11 years ago

Wow, great information here.

In 2002 I did a research on property and wanted these things: clean air, clean water, moderate climate, no military bases, and no Superfund sites or toxic waste dumps. Those were the parameters I typed into the government database called Enviro-mapper. There were only four places that came up that met most of the demands. Southern New Mexico met all plus more (1 1/2 hours to an international airport, 15 minutes to town, and 15 minutes to an interstate, and a hospital too). So I bought land in an area called the Deming Ranchettes several years ago. A man named Dennis Mack sold it to me. He was a nice guy and reputable. He sold lots of property averaging about $3200 an acre, some had electrical access, some not. During this time the county was secretly re-writing the zoning so that all these new landowners could not use their properties. Six months after I received title the county changed their zoning and forbid anyone that owned less than 2 acres to drill a well. That affected about 90% of the properties purchased, including mine. A lawsuit followed but I lost my job and decided to stay put for awhile. I know some people were trying to combine their properties to share a well, etc. At some point I will check back in with the whole thing.

Ideally, I would have liked to gather several neighbors and form a cooperative type eco-village.

Now I am back online and looking to see what everyone else is doing around the country and to ask if anyone has successfully partnered with others to create small communities similar to the one I mentioned.

• ShadowLady57
    11 years ago

In terms of goats, and predators, some breeds of dogs, are guards for your animals, like the Kuvasz, Anatolian Shepard, Great Pyrenees and about 11 other breeds, these dogs live in with the goats, or sheep, and will take down most anything that tries to hurt your flock. Its something to think about if you want land that is out of the way, it would cut down on predation, and keep your investment safe.

• ShadowLady57
    11 years ago

Make sure you do your homework before buying any land, you can get topographic maps from the USGS, that will show roads, elevations, whether the land is forested, etc. As for Craigs List, be very careful, most of the stuff on their is scams, with people just trying to get your money. I had friends that thought they were getting a fixer upper house, and they paid their money and moved in, imagine their surprise when the real owner showed up, wanting to know what they were doing, they lost all of their money and still dont have a place to live.For foreclosed properties, you can go to the county websites, they have listings for all the properties for sale, and with any back taxes due, or other lein information. People just make sure you check out everything you can, before you buy, and if you can make sure that you see the property, and do not send money up front. Most counties have property survey maps for the property, its always a good idea to check these out, gives you a better idea of where the land is.

• SantaBarbaraChris
    11 years ago

Thanks for the great reminder ShadowLady. All counties have the information needed.

I saw a property I was interested in recently only to find out that it was located within a home owners association even though it was in a rural area. The monthly fees were $341.00. There were many foreclosed homes in the same area.

• mesusan5
    11 years ago

Lots of ideas here. Thanks. I am 50, female and living on disability. I currently rent and am likely looking at divorce very soon. So I am beginning to wonder about the next chapter in many life. Really interested in "tiny homes" built on a trailer axle to avoid the hassles of building permits but I need land.
    So, just began looking for reasonable land. This is one of the first sites I actually joined because there are lots of useful ideas.
    I like the idea of "communites" but where do you find them?
    Ideally I would love to find about 4 acres for about $5000.00 tops. (For all, not each) in a climate warmer and dryer than Seattle and not too far from town and medical facility. Not that I hope to need it much but kinda scary to be too far away. Lol
    Like I said, just beginning my search. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks for any leads.

• magilojoh
    11 years ago

@ farmfreedom I am new to this page. I just wanted to say that it sounds like you would be interested in what this person has to say @ solarcabinhomesteading
    http://www.youtube.com/user/solarcabin. He has abt. 60 videos on self-sufficient living with lots of good tips on great places to buy cheap land and ways to scavenge things to build things. .

• JoeTill
    11 years ago

Any help is appreciated; I am interested to know where I could buy a very small piece of land, less than half an acre even, where a small dwelling could be erected. It would have to be within a couple miles of a place to get food and water, but aside from that no real restrictions.

In short, for around $3000 could I purchase land on which a tent could be erected, or where a little cabin could be built?

I would be looking to do this as soon as possible if I am able to get the right information and simply go through with the deal - so any help towards this end is valuable. A lot of information is already contained in the thread, but anything a bit more specific as to my purposes (land on which a tent/etc could be erected, not concerned at the moment with agricultural prospects, etc.)

Thanks..

• SantaBarbaraChris
    11 years ago

A lot of people are asking this same question right now. I know there must be groups of homesteaders on the Internet. As far as cheap land goes, there is still acreage in Deming Ranchettes (Deming, New Mexico) available but the zoning and regulations have changed constantly. Nowadays you can't even run gas lines or electric lines to your property without a building permit.

I think the best thing to do is find people who have similar interests and values, pool your money and buy a large piece of land in an unicncoporated area, and divide it up between the partners. Only resell to the other partners first, and then only to people who will agree to abide by the common rules that you all come up with.

• Hawknest
    10 years ago

'Where is cheapest land per acre in the U.S.A. ???
    I can relocate anywhere . No hazardous waste dumps please .
    no 'wetlands' please . What are the drawbacks ? I will consider any state or territory'

I've been pondering this same question for quite a while. Land in Wyoming is certainly cheap - esp near Rawlins. Understand there are no rights passed along. No water, no minerals, nothing. It's scrub land - greasewood and lots of alkali flats.
    $45k gets you a quarter section.

In New Mexico - land from Magdalena up the hill to Quemado is cheap too. Water wells are deep 450' or more and expensive to drill.

In West Texas, my choice is Sanderson-Dryden. I can get 700 ac for $250-295/ac. There's water and some semblence of structures. Lots of game - more than the other states and not many hunters. You can get 'out' easier - road and Amtrak in Alpine.

I'm moving to my piece of heaven shortly and don't mind the elev or the dry summer heat, b/c it's practically the same as my Wyoming homestead. I will not miss the religious people showing up on my doorstep once a month - trying to save me, nor harrassment by the local kops.

• apophasis
    10 years ago

Well, there's some cheap land in New Mexico for sure, but the problem is water. Up around Taos, Tres Piedras, it's still cheap.

I moved to Taos in 1995 to work on Earthships there, and for a bit of a hijack, I would tell anybody who's thinking about building one to run, not walk, in another direction.

Earthships are a terrible design, and a bad idea in every way, including thermally. I've built them and lived in them and they are awful. Look into something that actually works, like straw bale, or rastra block, or hemp-crete...

Earthships are just awful things. Yes, they have some good ideas, like rooftop rainwater catchment and grey water, but use those in a better design.

Here's what you want: Superinsulation, r-50 or better, everywhere including the roof. Radiant heat, fed by a solar water heater panel, and maybe wood, gas, whatever, as well. No north windows and lots of vertical south windows, with overhangs to exclude summer sun, but admit winter sun. You want a lot of thermal mass inside an insulative envelope, with good solar gain in winter and none in summer.

Earthships are directly coupled to the earth with no insulation, so while they won't freeze, they do try to remain 58 degrees, like the earth. That's just miserable in winter. And in summer, the slanted glass overheats and humidifies, and your house feels like a greenhouse, because it is. Plus, they are super labor-intensive to build, and use an ungodly amount of concrete. Ugh.

Back on topic: I'm leaving tomorrow on a quest for cheap land in southern Colorado. If I find anything, I'll shout back.

• auntiesherry
    10 years ago

I know this thread is several years old, but it is helpful to me now since I am looking for raw land in the next few months or so.

I fell in love with some raw land in northern Nevada, but I wasn't thinking with my head. I've decided I want some sort of water on the land-not only a well. I also don't want the high wind stuff. Oh, and I like lots of trees-so I am rethinking Nevada. I'm in the Chicago area and I am tired of winters and was surprised to find out the winters in Nevada are worse than what I have now. Good news was the availability of 5,10,20,40 acre tracts and less than a 500 an acre

I found some cheap land in west TX almost on the border to MX. I don't mind someone coming over to look for a better life, but I decided I don't want to be the first house "bad (aka drugs-etc)" people bump into. So, that part of TX is out-that's just me

I checked out Colorado and Wyoming (southern), but the well depth looks to be astronomical. Although I would get my trees and grasslands.

Now I have been looking at MO (south of Salem). It's looking better with trees and water on the land

Every property I look at has 6 reasons for it and half a dozen against it. Hoping I know when I run across the right one.

• BugFinderK9
    9 years ago

How about this one?? 90k for 60 acres in Paradise!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Land for sale in MO

• farmfreedom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For those of you who wonder where I planned to settle it was in the Hilo Hawaii area the closer the lava flow the cheaper the land . In some areas they have 365 days with out frost. My second choice would be in Texas with alodial title that means that the land is not part of an incorporated city or town so you do not have to pay property taxes on it . My health has taken a turn for the worse so I will be staying In Ma. because of the health insurance . Did you know that residents in MA can take college courses for free after their 60th birthday at all "STATE" colleges and universities , ($37. per semester for community colleges) , plus books ! So I am signing up for a course in organic agriculture in September 2014 .

• Drakemoore
    9 years ago

From what I've seen. Land itself isn't that expensive in almost every state. Note 'land'.

Not: "House and land, mobile home and land"
    Not: "Within 5 miles or less from a town of more than 500 people"
    Not: "With water tapped and connected to power grid"

Yes: "Land in the middle of nowhere covered with trees"
    Yes: "Land that's a desert or rocky, in the middle of nowhere"

That's not to say that there's not hidden gems out there. I've seen some beautiful land, 5+ acres with homes, or mobile homes, not that far from town for less than $50k. Problem? It's usually sold within days of it entering the MLS. Either by desperate people who have the money to buy it outright, or by people / businesses wanting to resell it for profit.

I mean, if you don't mind living in the middle of nowhere, and either living entirely off grid or having to pay to get electricity, well and plumbing installed and probably living inside a camper or a small temp stick house, you'll find a looooooot of land out there cheap.

Additionally, if there's no well tapped there, then you won't know fully if it's possible to tap a well there, or it is, if the water is safe.

Me personally, I would 'highly prefer' a place where I can at least get even very low grade broadband that isn't delivered via satellite or wireless and isn't 15+ miles away from even a tiny town. If you're olderish or retired from business, have social security or retirement or other funds coming in and you want to want to live a homesteading kind of life to be sufficient or whatever then that's fine. Younger or worse off people that don't have any form of fixed periodic income have to either work or make money off their homestead, and that isn't easy if you're in the boonies.

• gazel
    9 years ago

Curious about this "cheap" Missouri land rumor; I was born and raised in Missouri and have watched for reasonably priced land for over 30 years. During that time, anything productive and within reasonable commute distance priced under 2k an acre was gone quick (some even before it hit the market.) Recently, in the soft real estate market, I have seen unimproved tracts +/-60 acres selling in the 2-2500/acre range; I consider this reasonable. The only thing I see much cheaper is deep in the Ozarks comprised of hills and hollows and rock (you might be able to raise mountain goats if the predatory animals don't get them first) and is likely as not off the grid. Anything within an hour or so of St. Louis or Kansas City that has adequate timber brings out the city hunters and keeps the prices pretty much at a premium. Tillable ground goes much higher and I have heard of some in central Missouri bringing 10K per acre. I personally like being in what most people call "the boonies" but would rather stay on the grid, unless I happened to run across a self sustaining set up. Now that I am approaching retirement I would entertain trading a 40 acre tract within 5 miles of an interstate and an hour of KCMO for a larger more remote tract.

• jksatte
    9 years ago

I am definitely interested in cheap land. I want to start a permaculture tree farm and I would like between 50 - 70 acres. I definitely have to stay around $1,000 per acre. It also needs to be Eastern US. I would love any advice you could give. This is my retirement plan so I need it to work out and get started as soon as possible. Thanks for you help.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Texas does have land taxes. Road and bridge plus school taxes.

On 20 acres it is maybe 200 a year. Our land is wooded with a pond.

We will be selling soon.

• Hafeezur Rehman
    9 years ago

It is interesting . The blog or forum..is very helpful. Although it is very difficult to find things you need. Aware do come. I am also looking 5 to 10 acres tillable land with water . I am aware that the prices be moderate neither costly nor cheap. My purpose is to start small vegetable farm......then to see into the future I mean expansion is depending some time in future.I need help to buy land for my purpose....the vegetable farm...thanks in advance.

• cheneydonnie
    8 years ago

I wont to find cheap acres of land to develop with low monthly are around 2k a aker 513 Sam ranken road corpus Christi Texas 78401 Donnie Cheney ph 9365771967 I would like mountain regions if not wooded lots country

• gardenexpertmountain
    8 years ago

It really depends on where you want to buy the land. There are cheaper land parcels in New York and Arkansas. I've researched several sites and this one happens to be the best:

More cheap land can be found at http://www.CheapLands.com

More information about Cheap Lands:

Cheap Lands, Inc. specializes in various types of land properties comprised of residential and commercial land. The land is primarily undeveloped, which often allows the buyer to make use of the land for a multitude of reasons. Buyers looking for land lots at affordable prices may find that it suits their needs. When it comes to finding the cheapest land in the the USA, a leading place to search for land for sale in America can be found at the link above. Some potential land uses for different parcels we offer may include some of the possible uses depending on the property: residential land, development land, hunting land, land to fish on, land that can be used for farms (farmland), vacant land, raw land, recreational land, undeveloped land, agricultural land, industrial land, mixed-use land, waterfront land, waterview land, land with membership benefits (like golfing) and other possibilities. Many users may want to use the land for a variety of reasons including off-the-grid purposes as well as land to build a house, build a cabin, bring a trailer, bring a recreational vehicle (RV), build a manufactured home / mobile home / prefabricated (prefab) home, mud home, homes that use solar power/energy for off-the-grid living purposes, land for camping, outdoor use, timber use, etc. The real estate may be located in multiple regions near mountains, lakes, streams, rivers, oceans, creeks, etc. In regards to location, the land may be located in the city, country, unincorporated areas, the desert, planned communities, and other highly desired areas all across the country, which can be domestically found in the United States. Many low down money options are available including seller / owner financing with easy terms and 0% interest

• zzackey
    8 years ago

It is very cheap to live here in Charlton county, GA. We pay no school taxes. We only pay $40 a year for garbage pickup and refuse pickup and road grading. It is cheap because my husband is a senior citizen.

• zzackey
    8 years ago

They are paving our road today! Hallelujah! We live a mile in on a bumpy road. And our taxes didn't go up! How cool is that??

• muddy38
    8 years ago

If a realitor has a listing of 50 or so acres are they or the land owner ever willing to sell 2 or 3 acres of it? Or are they not likely to separate any of it up.

• zzackey
    8 years ago

You won't know unless you ask! I've seen acreage for sale here for years and no one has bought it. You might get lucky!

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    6 years ago

OP asks ''cheapest land per acre in the U.S.A''. Literally? It is probably a patented mining claim. It might cost $30,000 or more for the claim but the actual, literal, land would be only about three dollars per acre.

• Elizabeth Pingry
    5 years ago

Here is a good article about values : https://nationalland.com/blog/latest-ag-news-metlife/

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler