Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gourdmusic

Carding Wool

gourdmusic
17 years ago

Does any one here process their own wool for knitting. I have several bags of Llama wool that I need to work up. I have hand carders but it will take forever to get it all worked up that way. I'm trying to find an enexpensive way to build a machine carder. or buy one they run around 300.00. way aout of my budget. even on Ebay.

Comments (5)

• pangiya
    17 years ago

You might want to look for a 'drum card', which is a hand crank (looks like a barrel with teeth) and low tech alternative to a machine. It's faster than traditional cards, too.

• spinhobby
    17 years ago

Drum Carder is the best method to make rolags from fleece..
    I have ordered from the internet (slivers) of wool breeds to learn the spinning at home process.. More natural yarn is produced when no chemicals have been added..
    Try to purchase a carder 2nd hand.. its worth the investment if you own your own animals..good luck

• spinhobby
    17 years ago

I am carding Alpaca for the first time..What can I do to hold down on the "static"? I have read to card with wool, but "real alpaca people" frown on wool blending..I wish to get PURE alpaca yarn..thanks..Posting is also new to me..Am I allowed to give my email address for direct communication? ?

• simplelife
    17 years ago

Alpaca is a fine wool and does get static. You can lightly mist it with spray-on hair conditioner as you card or flick it. The cheapest brands work fine.

I use a flick comb, hand cards, and I own a Louet Jr. roving carder. Of all of the prep methids, I find that I like the flick comb (or you can use a cheapmetal dog brush) the best.

Alpaca doesn't have to be carded if you are spinning it before washing it. It doesn't contain lanolin like sheeps' wool. It IS very dusty and usually contain vegetable matter so I prefer to give it a quick rinse.

It doesn't felt as readily as sheep wool, so I stuff lingerie bags full of the alpaca fleece and throw them into my front-loader washing machine on the hand-wash cycle and have had GREAT success doing that. I then either lay them out to dry or I put the rack in my dryer and set the cycle to 60 minutes on highest heat.

Hope this helps. I also spin my alpace by hand on my wheel or a drop spindle. It behaves best for me on the wheel and is beautiful once plyed up into yarn!

• spinhobby
    17 years ago

Many thanks for the advice on "alpaca tricks in carding and spinning..GOURDMUSIC- Here is a lead to help with your question of DRUM CARDERS..even to the construction of one..at the GOOGLE site type in KATE PAINTER FLEECE
    go down ONE paragraph and click on -a site for fleece and see several atricles about drum carders and construction of...Hope this helps GOOD LUCK..