Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stove pipe chimney question

Posted by harley121 Maryland (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 20:21

Has anyone ever constructed a temporary chimney??

I want to erect a "temporary" chimney just to try out a wood stove this winter. If the boss likes it I will erect a masonry one in the spring. My temporary one will consist of 8� of single wall pipe out of the house (through a 100% masonry wall), continuing on a 45 degree angle upwards for 10�, then make a 45 degree turn straight up for 12�, all will be 6" dia pipe. (SEE PIC). I�ve worked out all of the temporary steel supports and such, but I�m concerned that I may have draft issues due to a single wall pipe in the cold.

Should I insulate the exterior piping, or not? Has anyone done anything like this before? Any info is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stove pipe chimney question

VERY VERY UNSAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you the pros to help you out try this forum.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/

o

One problem I'm having with a long chimney of single wall stovepipe is that the smoke cools to the point it drips (liquid smoke) out of the top where it makes quite a mess.

I am trying to heat a greenhouse with an old wood stove. The stovepipe travels about 25 feet from stove to chimney top. The whole length is single wall 8 inch pipe. There are a few bends in it (more than a pro would want). I don't have any problem with the draft, it pulls just fine but the amount of mess it makes at the far end makes me want to shorten the distance by half.

o

trianglejohn, you can never have a single wall flue out side. If a fire starts in the flue you will burn down the house. Try the site out. there are alot of good people on there to help you out. They will help you with everything. Try them out.

o

fespo,
Hello. Your comment on a chimney fire has me concerned. I was thinking that a chimney fire usually happens when a chimney is loaded up w/ residue and such. With that said, since this will be in use for say 4 months tops- and I have all very well-seasoned hardwood, I would think that a chimney fire would not happen due to the lack of creosote buildup,, true? Also, are there other causes for chimney fires?
I believe that I can solve the draft problem w/ a draft fan connected to a switched thermostat. Just having the fan come on at a 250 degree temp of my inside stove pipe. But,, if there are other causes for a chimney fire to start- again I am inclined to scrap the entire thing.
Many thanks for your comments and concerns.
Thank you,,
Bob R

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here