Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

hot wire fence help

msjay2u
16 years ago

I am planning on getting some goats and need a hotwire fence put up. after ads on craigslist, people not showing up AND some quoting rediculous prices to put up a fence I decided to try it on my own. Ideally I would like to connect to the trees. the area is about 400'x30'. I managed to purchase a box. now what> LOL. I was going to pay $9 with a $50 minimum but no one bit.

thanks all advice taken!!

Comments (3)

• yakimadn
    16 years ago

What is it you don't know? insulate the wire, get it the right height, and ground it IAW instructions . Lightning protection is a moneysaver. My neighbor ran two wires to keep his goats in his place and I added a third connected to the ground terminal to keep them out of mine. Specific questions would be easier (for me)to answer.

Dave

• presmudjo
    16 years ago

Go to ask.com, put in how to install an electric fence. We had no clue either. I would give you the web address I found that had excellent information, but hubby has that computer and is out of town for a week. It is really easy. The ground rod or rods is soooo important. We bought a solar fencer and it gives out a helofa jolt. It told the Bull to stay away! One guy in the store said it wouldn't keep a dog in. Guess maybe he didn't know what he was doing! Well I found out that in Florida you need 2, 3 is best, 6 to 8 ft ground rods, 10 ft apart in a row to get a good ground. Do you have a local feedstore, not like TSC, they won't know a thing. They can give you oddles of info. Have the fence up and running before they go in, so they learn right away. We had to do the whole fenced area in one day because we knew the bull and heifer would eat the plastic insulators out of curiousity if we didn't have it done in one day while they were penned up. Good luck. You can do it yourself once you learn exactly what you need.
    presmudjo

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL I meant to say $9 hour with a minimum of $50. I got someone to come finally and I paid him $12 an hour and he put up all the insulators and the grounding pole (I only brought one) and also the poles. I have a plug in type. He did not finish though and he has to come back to actually run the wire. I would do it myself but the tensioners look intimidating to me. and by the way I paid him more than I was offering.

I do plan to have the fence up before the goats come in. I am having a hard time finding goats too so that makes it okay that the fence is not ready yet.

thanks for the info! I been reading on the internet that I should also use babbed wire as well but I have not went that far. How do you incooperate a gate in the set up? That part I am having a hard time imagining!

Sponsored