Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goneriding_gw

Argh - cockroaches

goneriding
19 years ago

We recently met these really nice folks and they have visited our house a few times. There children come over to play with our kiddos and our kids went to their home as well. Well, my husband and I went into their home the other day for the first time and there were tons of cockroaches. It obviously bothered them and now I have found two roaches in my home. I am bombing today to be safe, however, there children are coming over to spend the night. Any suggestions on how to keep control of this. I know that if there is one there must be others. I do not want to get overwhelmed with these and will do whatever I have to - to get rid of the problem before it starts.

Comments (4)

• tedp2
    19 years ago

I have waited for someone more expert than I to answer but none has so, here goes. I doubt that the roaches are comming into your house due to visits by individuals but if they aren't too far away they can and do travel overland. They can also be brought into the home in containers from the grocery store. Potatos, onions, fruit, sixpacks,etc. can contain the eggs which hatch out in your house later. It is almost impossible to avoid ocasional infestation especially in our warm climate down South. You mention that you are bomnbing. You should tell all your neighbors that you found them in your home and are bombing and suggest that they all do the same on or near the same day.
    Several years ago our house was treated with chloridane for termites. We have very rarely seen a roach since and usually they are already dead when we see them. (Knocking on wood.)

• goneriding
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks. We live on 40 acres and our nearest neighbors are at least 500 feet away or more. We are just taking precautionary steps and bombing - not only for roaches but for spiders etc. which tend to come out in the warming months ahead. I plan on purchasing Borax to place in dark areas of the cupboards and pantry just in case. Here's knocking on wood too, I hope that this is just a passing thing and not long term.

Thanks again

• joefalco
    19 years ago

We used to have roaches when we lived in an APT next to some very dirty people. Anyway our landloard hired a "discount" exterminator and the problem was only a little better.

We called ORKIN and the problem was solved well 99% solved we saw a few here and there. I don't work for them or anything but whetever they used worked. ALso it might depend on the exterminator the lady that did OUR place was very knowledgabe and particular.

• hotzcatz
    18 years ago

Aloha,

We have lovely little geckos (house lizards) that live in the house and eat most of the bugs inside. If they miss any, I mix up boric acid with something tasty for the bugs and put that out for them. In a day or two, they are gone. Boric acid isn't supposed to be poisonous to cats and dogs, haven't a clue what it does to geckos but I haven't found any of them curled up.

A hui hou,
    Cathy

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner