Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root cellaring

Posted by mum4two 3, AB (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 11:17

I have just finished reading Root Cellaring by Mike and Nancy Bubel, but the info is very American and I am wondering if anyone knows of a source for Canadian info? I have specific concerns about wether the humidity levels need to be the same.
I also do not want to vent the basement room we are planning to use to the outside, as this just will not work for a few different reasons so I'm looking for an alternative.

Thanks,
Tiffany

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root cellaring

I just ordered that book... I hope it wasn't wasted money!
I haven't found any canadian books on the subject but I do have family with real experience to consult if I need to.

I've found that with many of the books I've read the information isn't relevant to my area.

o
RE: Root cellaring

A lot of the specifics in that book doesn't work in the south either BUT,

The principles are the same anywhere because the vegetables will want the same storage conditions anywhere.

I can't just stow my squash in an unheated room or my attic here -- because I don't have any unheated rooms and because we get intermittent days of shirt-sleeve weather when the attic gets pretty warm even in January.

But I can store squash if I find a spot with the temperature and humidity conditions squash like -- even if its the crawlspace instead.

How you get the conditions right will vary by geography but as long as you get the conditions right it should work. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here