Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joel_bc

Homesteaders' Tech Catalogues (updated & concise)

joel_bc
16 years ago

There was a thread on this subject this that went back a couple years. A fair amount of "fluff" gathered in it, partly due to the fact that my original question which started the thread might not have been too clear at first.

But once people got the idea, there were many very valuable recommendations, useful in the U.S. and Canada. So to make the info concise and hence quicker and easier to read, IÂm summing up. Knowing that these sources exist is the valuable thing -- but once you know, then these sources are pretty easily findable with Google, Yahoo, or any search engine. In many cases, you can order a print catalogue for free or for very little cost.

The original thread is still on the board here, and you may find it to be enjoyable reading.

Also, please do feel free to add more catalogues here to this new thread  there must be quite a few other noteworthy sources that we havenÂt yet named here.

LeehmanÂs Non-Electric Catalogue [suggested by Lesli8] Â farm, garden, kitchen tools and equipment for non-electric situations.

Berry Hill (their annual Country Living Catalogue) [suggested by Maggie J] Â a catalogue of serious and well-made farm and rural appliances, equipment, and supplies.

Home Power (@http://www.homepower.com/home/ ) Â a magazine that publishes an on-line catalogue for home-scale renewable energy (solar, wind, etc) equipment and supplies. [suggested by Jason Reno]

Lee Valley Tools (Canada) [suggested by Mountain Man BC] Â a source for good-quality, sometimes pricy, but durable woodworking and gardening tools.

http://www.realgoods.com & http://www.sierrasolar.com [suggested by Lilrose] Â two on-line catalogues with home-scale renewable-energy equipment and supplies.

Northern Tool and Equipment [suggested by jane d] Â high-quality auto, metal, general-shop tools, plus woodburning heaters, etc.

Suggested by myself:

The Ben Meadows Forestry Equipment catalogue  a catalogue of professional-quality forest-related technical equipment.

Summit Tools (Canadian) Â High-quality hand and machine tools for carpenters, woodworkers, machinists, general shop, etc.

Grizzly Industrial (U.S.) Â High-quality machine tools (including pneumatic and hydraulic) for machinists, carpenters, etc.

Woodcraft Supply  fine woodworking hand tools and some power tools; a U.S. company that is similar to Lee Valley(described above).

Please do add more...

Comments (6)

• presmudjo
    16 years ago

Thank you for those links. I already love LeeValley Tools! They have good quality, ooodddllleees of stuff you can't find anywhere and great customer service. Oh, and they ship like ... well, faster than anything I've seen! Did they ship it the day before I ordered it? Anything you know of for someone thinking of making cheese? I am hooked on fresh Mozzarella and have a book with a recipe, but I need to get supplies. Hey, I make wine, so why not the cheese too!
    Thanks
    presmudjo

• joel_bc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Presmudjo, I don't have the most up-to-date catalogue from either one, but I checked with the editions I do have... and the Lehman's catalogue has three pages of what they call "cheese & butter" making supplies, and Berry Hill's has two pages.

By the way, I misspelled Lehman's in my original post on this thread (above), which could make it a bit harder to search on a Web browser. It's one "e", not two: Lehman's Non-Electric Catalogue.

Joel

• joel_bc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is another one.

Good for corded & cordless tools, generators, hydraulic pumps, jacks & lifts, saftey equipment... all sorts of professional-quality, robust tools & equipment.

One of the things that these sites (or the printed catalogues put out by these companies) are good for is identifying the specific names and specifications of tools you may be in need of. With that information, you can shop locally - much better informed - if you want to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohio Power Tool

• downeastwaves
    15 years ago

Here's one located in the next town over on the mainland. They make really neat sythes and other sharp things.

Leasa
    Eastport, Maine

Here is a link that might be useful: Sythes

• littledog
    15 years ago

"LeehmanÂs Non-Electric Catalogue [suggested by Lesli8] Â farm, garden, kitchen tools and equipment for non-electric situations. "

Just having a little fun with you, but wouldn't it be against their creed or something to put that one online? ;^)

• joel_bc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's one suggested by a GardenWebber calling himself Pooh Bear.

Harbor Freight.

Look them up via your Web search engine. They're good for metal-working tools, construction tools, etc.

Turns out there is some ongoing conversation on-line discussion about the quality of their tools: some very good, some not that great. So I'm including the link that Pooh Bear provided for a forum "consumer's" discussion on the topic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harbor Freight tools that don't suck

Sponsored