Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Ideas for feeding chickens and pigs

Posted by mswiggi 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 19:32

I'm hoping to plant a good sized garden this year and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what I should plant to supplement a couple of pigs and hens diets.

I know I've seen a "forage mix" seed blend for chickens....can't remember who was selling it, anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Ideas for feeding chickens and pigs

instead of a garden I would look into black soldier fly larvae....they are easy to raise as they feed off your garbage...chickens go nuts over them. Also I have found that chickens are very fond of mulberries...the everbearing varieties produce incredible amounts.

For pigs I would get some mass producing oaks and chestnuts.

o

Our Rhode Island Reds love collards, any bitter greens, arugula, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cabbage, strawberries. They really love grapes and chick weeds! Any weeds. Crickets. Any bugs you can catch.

o

Dandelions! Our chickens are just happy with all of the garden scraps, weeds and veggie compost we make. Nothing specific needed.

o

Posted by mswiggi 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 19:32
. . . I know I've seen a "forage mix" seed blend for chickens....can't remember who was selling it, anyone have any experience with it?

I have no experience with them but you may be thinking of either
Peaceful Valley Farm Supply (click) or,

Sandhill Preservation Chicken Treats (click) (scroll about half way down the page)

Steve

o

I was a manager at a thrift store bakery until Hostess Brands shut down & we sold out of date bread as hog feed. Just never know if its available. Also, before planting & then when the garden is done for the season, first let the chickens & then the pigs have free rein. The chickens will get the bugs & weed seeds & the pigs will help 'plow' your garden & get whatever the chickens leave.

o

mypetchicken.com is selling a packet of seeds to feed hens

Here is a link that might be useful: mypetchicken

o

My chickens love bread, even semi-burnt toast. I just read they like mint plants.

o

mangel beets for winter production

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here