Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken help

Posted by cuppers_2005 Oklahoma (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 0:08

About two years ago my daughter got a chicken (Bantam we think) from her boyfriend, for Easter and like any other teenager she didn't want it after awhile so now I have a chicken that I truly love, but need some help. My first question is I feed her table food like grapes and green beans and so on, as well as her chicken food is this ok? And the other week she seemed like she was sick so we took her to the vet they put her on Baytril said she had a bacterial infection because her stool was dark, mind you the vet I went to wasn't a chicken vet, I don't even know if there is a chicken vet, what would make her stool dark? And last question she layed two eggs in less then a hour and one was hard and one was soft, but she hadnt layed one in a couple of days is this normal? Any help that any could give me would be great help tthanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken help

Two eggs is normal. It happens from time to time. The softer shelled egg will harden up. If you'd left it on the sideboard while it hardened it would have had a flat side. Is she starting to lay after taking a break?

Stool color fluctuates with what she's eaten. It is alright to give her things like fruits and vegetables. She'd eat those on her own if she were out foraging for food. I don't know if dark stool is actually a sign of infection. Maybe someone else will know.

o

check www.the-coop.org

o

Hey Cuppers,

They do make good pets, don't they?!

Just one more suggestion. Next time, before going to the vet, you might check at the feed store if they have any advice. Often times those folks will give you as good or better advice than a non specialized vet.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o
Check Out My Chicken Blog 30,000 Readers Enjoy It

I think you will like reading my fact filled blog

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Talk With Rooster Shamblin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here