Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hemanth_gw

2 Acres of Industrial Land

hemanth
15 years ago

Hi, I'm very new to this forum seeking help from all you experts... The question what I have is goes like this...

I have 2 acres of Industrial land in a country like India, would like to know what is that I can do out of it with minimual investment. The idea behind minimum investment is want to test the market out there, see how it works and then go all out. I'm currently in Michigan and planning to return to my homeland to make use of that land.

Look forward to hear from you...

Thanks a bunch.

Comments (7)

• rockguy
    15 years ago

You have given us very little there to go on. I think you need to have soil testing and improving skills in place when you go. Climate info too, like how many frost-free days in the year and from when-to-when. "like India" could be tropical, or not.
    Will this land be used to feed your family alone or for commercial growing? What about animals?

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Can you tell us what country it is? I can't think of a single country which we as a community would be prejudiced against. Also, what kind of zoning issues will you have to deal with? Why is the area industrial and not agricultural land? Can you get water?

• hemanth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rockguy -- I think you are right, its a good way to start assessing the climate,soil before you think about what to grow. For now I'm planning commercial growing...

I was also impressed about SAGE and wanted to grow. Can you tell me in what climate conditions sage would grow and how do I approach retailers like Whole Foods, Traders Joe in supplying organic Sage...

Thanks a ton for all your inputs...

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

hemanth, stop for a moment, take a breath.

Why is the country classified information?

Why Sage?

Why are you asking about commercial farming in a homesteading forum?

If say for instance you are looking into growing Salvia divinorum you can still tell us where and what you are planning on growing.

The steps:

First you figure out the climate (internet will tell you)

Then you figure out the microclimate (soil tests, shade from mountains and buildings, pollution etc.) by putting your feet on the ground

Then you figure out what you have a market for (including laws)

Then you pick your crop

Then you pick your variety

Then you grow it

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

Some where way up that list, you better check out your market..you'll end up with a two acre crop with no buyer.. I would suggest you almost need a buyer before you plant or at least harvest.

• junkmanme
    15 years ago

IF the ZONING is comparable to USA and markets are comparable,,,,.............

Build a 2-4 car garage AND accept FREE junk cars (store on remaining property), sell quality Used parts and provide mechanic and welding services.

You won't get rich, but you'll make more money than you would trying to farm 2 acres.

just my 2 pesos worth,
    (I've done it!)
    Junkmanme

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

ruthieg__tx

Market was third on the list, after climate and microclimate, all the market for pineapples in the world will not help you if you get a frost every year.