Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pants_2008

When/how to grow small quantities of wheat

pants_2008
16 years ago

Hi there,

I am looking to grow very small quantities of wheat for personal baking. I live in the Washington, DC area and I'm wondering A) what kind of wheat seeds to buy, and B) when to plant them?

I'd appreciate any tips you folks can throw my way...

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• flatlander
    16 years ago

we grown hard red winter wheat in kansas, and i expect you'd do spring wheat in washington. check with your local ag school extension office. gene logsdon has a book called small scale grain raising, or something like that which has all the info you need. wheat is like grass, and easy to grow. have fun.

• denninmi
    16 years ago

pants 2008, I am growing a small plot of grains myself this year, for sort of the same reasons, mostly just to see a) how practical it is, and b) how productive it is. I have already planted hard red spring wheat, hulless oats, and barley. I also have seeds for flour corns, amaranth, quinoa, and a couple of other things. I've grown grains before many times for use in floral arrangements, but never before with the intent of harvesting it to eat.

You should plant winter wheat in the early autumn, and spring wheat in the early spring. It's probably NOT too late where you are, but is bordering on it by now -- sorry, I didn't visit this forum for many, many months now, so just saw your post.

Culture is very simple -- a sunny spot, fertile ground, some fertilizer or compost. You will need to cover the crop when it's getting ripe with some kind of net to keep the birds from decimating it -- sparrows and such get into it here if I don't. It will ripen in mid to late summer. Pick, hang upside down in bundles to dry, the thresh as needed, I guess is the easiest way.

As far as sources, some healthfood stores and farm coops might have seed grain by the pound. Mail order sources have it -- one good one is Johnny's Selected Seeds in Maine -- www.johnnysseeds.com

• borganics
    16 years ago

Anyone know about growing wheat for grinding/baking in south/central Florida? A baker friend wants me to grow certified organic for his small production.

• Macmex
    15 years ago

I don't normally hang out on this forum. But searching, I found this thread, and... I have a question.

I have grown small quantities of wheat and barley, the wheat for more than two years. But I have not figured out how to thresh it practically. If I have to rub the heads between my hands, then I'll just stick with corn! Yikes! That's a lot of work! Anyone have a easier method?

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• mxbarbie
    15 years ago

Try looking up how to thresh by hand on google... I seem to recall something about doing it with your feet (there must be an easier way!)