Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrigan_gw

Vent sexing ducklings

corrigan
15 years ago

I've read conflicting information on this, so if anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated. :) What exactly will a female look like? Some sites say that it will remain a depression. Others say that females will have a small bulge, but that it won't be elongated or hooked like a male's penis. I can't order sexed ducks from a hatchery, as I do not have the space for 10 and I don't know anyone in my local area, so I can't split an order. However, all of the local feed/farm stores selling ducklings say they have no one who can sex them.

If you could offer any advice (other than the "don't ever try this yourself because you'll KILL them" variety) I'd appreciate it. Don't worry - we've actually already done the venting, with no harm to the ducklings. We're just unclear on what we're seeing, because of the conflicting info. All our ducklings have a flat, tiny bulge, except one, which has a pointier bulge....so they're either all males or 4 females and 1 male.

Comments (2)

• oreos_mom
    15 years ago

Corrigan, the females should have a cone shaped organ that you can easily see. The males will have a smaller,longer,pointed organ inside a larger cloaca and it may not appear for several seconds after the vent is opened. If you're going to be keeping the ducks for yourself, you can listen to their "quacks" when they're about a month old. The females will have a loud quack and the males will be a much softer cluck. At 2 months of age, the males will have a distinct curled feather at the tips of their tails. And depending on the breed of ducks you have, the males are usually more prettily colored than the females.

Susan

• siobhan_jet_hotail_com
    13 years ago

hi, i have some ducklings i am selling and i need to know the gender of them ASAP. when i try and vent them i dont know what i am looking for and where it should be. can you please get back to me soon so i can sell them?