Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tedp2

How is Corned Beef Made?

tedp2
18 years ago

I posed this question under another thread but no one has answered.

I know it involves using saltpetr but how, and how much? How long will corned beef keep?

We buy it at the gro. store and love it with cabbage and horseradish. Even the canned version isn't bad.

Comments (7)

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

Go over to the cooking forum...there was a thread there about this....

• farmfreedom
    18 years ago

you put a potroast or roast beef in water with a block of ice about 1 gallon of water to 1 pound of meat , you also add a handful of Kosher or coarse salt leave it for 3 days to make the grey Irish cornbeef . this is used to extend the refridgerator shelf life of the meat by 10 days max . WE never made the red corn beef ,the red corn beef (Jewish corn beef ) is made with salt peter .

• tedp2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes I know it's made with salt peter, but how much and for how long and how long will it keep after curing? I went to the cooking forum but didn't find the thread ruthieg mentioned. I'll try again.
    I believe the Kosher corned beef is called "pastrami."

• farmfreedom
    18 years ago

No pastrami is both SMOKED and corned . It is to beef what ham is to pork . we never made the red Jewish corned beef just the "grey Irish corned beef " which is prefered on St. Patricks day in Massachusetts .

• farmfreedom
    18 years ago

You can always check the U.S.D.A. county extension service for free pamphlets on meat curing . We got some in the pre- Reagan era on sausage making . Try home coldcut making , corned beef, smoking meat and fish, sausage making ! look up these subjects in books in your local library ! Try to get a good recipe for the Swedish sausage , KOK KURV itb is my favorite sausage !

• mercury12
    18 years ago

Most of the information and thread about corned beef is in the Harvest Forum. The people there use premixes which contain salt, saltpetre and sugar/dextrose.

I have made Canadian Bacon and I use a brine solution, quantities and ingredients from the following link. I inject the meat with the brine until it has gained 30% if its original weight. I then brine in the fridge for 3 days.
    Then I either use it for corned beef or make pastrami, following the recipes given in the Harvest forum.

Hope this helps

Helen

Here is a link that might be useful: corned beef

• tedp2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If anyone is interested, I found a reciepe for making corned beef. To my surprise, it used very little saltpetr.
    For each pound of meat use 1 1/2 to 2 cups plain (non-iodized) salt and 1/2 tbs of saltpetre. Coat the meat thouroughly, put in a container to catch drainage and refrigerate for 10 days to 2 weeks.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction