Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjsfamilyfarm

Organic Meat in Upstate NY

jjsfamilyfarm
19 years ago

Do any of you wonderful people know where we can find organic (pasture-fed) beef or buffalo meat that would be available for purchase here in NY state. I live in Wayne County, and until we get our own farm up and going, we would love to find meat that is not outrageously marked up (i.e. at Wegman's).

Thank you!

Comments (7)

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

You can try Local Harvest. You type in your zip code and get a listing of farms in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Local Harvest

• qbirdy
    19 years ago

You could also ask over on the Upstate NY forum. I know there are local growers around here but can't think of the names right now.

• perrylawrence
    19 years ago

contact the clinton county chamber of commerce - i know there is at least one farm just north of plattsburgh that is specializing in what you are looking for: If you are looking for a half or whole beef why not contact the local 4H and have a kid raise you one? There has to be some kid pampering a steer to show at the fair that will be wanting to sell it after........... just another thought...

• gran2
    18 years ago

In Indiana, the Beef Cattle Association has begun a listing of beef producers, large and small, and this might be a possibility in New York as well. The local cooperative extension office should be able to give you the number, and the ag educator might also know of possibilities. Since we are exactly what you're after (only a very long way away), I suggest you drive through the country and stop if you see a small herd and ask. We sell ours for market price plus a nickel on the hoof. Last ones went for $.95 per pound. The idea is just to have enough left over for us, (for free) and we run between four and twenty head at a time.

• booberry85
    18 years ago

Ask neighbors and call the local butcher shops. I would also try calling your local community cooperative extension or maybe the local Department of Health can help you.

• billyjhoward
    15 years ago

This link will take you to my Upstate NY Natural Grass Fed Hereford Beef Farm.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BillyJHoward

To purchase write me at bhoward@calltru.com

Here is a link that might be useful: My YouTube Home Page

• elrem2002
    15 years ago

Check out Seven Bridges Farm.

I know they sell at the Public Market in Rochester.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seven Bridges

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County