Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esopus_gw

profitable business ideas for homesteaders

Esopus
20 years ago

A Swedish friend of mine is interested in opening a business here in the States so that she can apply for an "investor's visa". To obtain this long-term visa, she is required to invest a substantial amount of money into a US-based business. The amount of money she'd need to invest would vary from 100K to 200K depending on the nature of the business. Her lawyer had suggested she openned a restaurant, an antique shop, or something along those lines, but she has no interest in being tied up to any job that forces her to be in an urban setting.

Being a fervent outdoor and animal lover, she would very much prefer to invest on a business that would provide her with constant contact with nature. We've been brainstorming about this subject for several months now but to this day have not come out with anything that makes good business sense.

If any of you out there has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• silverwind
    20 years ago

I'm just dropping in and looking around - but one thought I've not run across here is investing in herbs and flowers to distill oils from. It's profitable enough if you get really into it, wonderful if you like to go growing and cutting and working on it, and it's easy to spend a chunk of change on starter plants. Especially some of the more exotic types...

my $.02 . :)

• sundae
    20 years ago

What about land? Can she buy farm land to fulfill this requirement? Then rent it out to a local farmer. Bare land or maybe one with a house for her to live in too.

Just a thought.

S.

• sewcrazynurse
    20 years ago

I was thinking making jams jellies fruit butters homemade soaps and body scrubs. Maybe market some herbal teas.

• farmfreedom
    20 years ago

.I am alarmed at the decline of seed companies . Maybe if I get successful I will start one .
    Sources of income for famer wanabes land scaping they get $25 dollars and up for a lawn mowing in Ma.
    they charge a landscaper - $600 per year for a 1 truck parttime opperator ,to dump his mulch then in 5 years they sell it for loam . They charge to dump rocks then sell them to masons. then there is the presumably lower risk of nurserys .Owning land has its advantages .boarding dogs like greyhounds over the winter . and installing high and dry storage buildings , and renting them to people for self storage should be a low risk thing in this time and this area . cultivating rare plants such as lady slippers might be eventually profitable. It does not hurt to ask .The only Foolish question is the unasked question.
    Hope this helps someone.

• Konrad___far_north
    20 years ago

If you love animals, perhaps........

Kennels for pet's, all kind of pets, Pet walk park, picnic, pet cemetery etc......?????
    Baby boomers are having pet's now, yes, allot of money people spend for pets, I'm amazed, how many Dogs there are.
    Konrad

• babanna
    19 years ago

For that much $....
    maybe she could open a dual fold biz to keep money coming in like a little pet type farm with a country inn as well. She could sell her own goods to customers too and maybe have a little 'shop' in her bed/breakfast biz. Also maybe she could do weeks of planned events to drum up biz like hatching out chick week, how to shear sheep, how to...etc. or just petting or riding or feeding/caring for animals.
    Good luck!
    Sounds like she'd be better off just buying a place and later on setting up a biz without the initial start up cost...maybe involve a local so to avoid the costly initial fee. Call it her vacation place...and plan for more later. She really needs to explore what she likes, is willing to do, and understands that the American dollar is much much less than where she is from (my relatives are Swedish and don't know how we survive!).

Sponsored