Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is homesteading?

Posted by Sewcrazynurse MI zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 16, 04 at 20:46

What is the diffrence between farming and homesteading? I have been on a around farms my life. My husband and his family farm aound 2500 acres. Mostly cash crops. I raise poultry (my first year) and we garden and I can and freeze everything in site.

Any opinions are appreciated.
Caren

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is homesteading?

IMO:

Homesteading is independant of scale. It means producing as many of the necessaries of life as possible. Clearly this is more practicable as one's land area increases.

Farming is the production of crops or animals to sell for cash. It's often just a living. Wheat farmers, for instance, don't generally eat their own wheat even - let alone grow anything else for their own consumption. Ship the wheat away and import wonderbread. Potato farmers with Ore-Ida in the freezer. Etc, etc.

o

I agree that homesteading is generally thought of as providing food for yourself (to whatever degree you feel necessary) and for trying to be either independant of or less dependant upon things like public utilities, consumer products, social programs, etc. For some this means living off the land completely, like pioneers, while for others it means a compromise between providing for oneself and family and buying ready-made products and services. I think most homesteaders fall into the latter catagory. I have only a little over .5 acre here, but I manage to provide a good portion of my fruit and vegetables, all my eggs, and about half the meat I consume. I have opted to have some 'modern conveniences' like electricity, computer, pickup truck, phone, etc., but I have made some modifications of most of those. For example, my refrigerator is a small 'dorm' type, and I have a small chest freezer as opposed to a large full sized refrigerator (I used to have both a big refrigerator and freezer but got rid of the big refrigerator). I have electricity but am extremely frugal with it. I hang my laundry to dry, have no lights on during the day, heat with wood, etc. I have public water but again use it very carefully.

In other words, homesteading is trying to provide what you can for yourself and not be too dependant upon 'the system'.

o

Our farm/homestead;
http://www.rocketroberts.com/farmerjoe/farmerjo.htm

Only about 1/4 shown due to 'byte'limitations.Five tractors,many implements,welders (stick,MIG,gas),plasma cutter,compressors (3),air tools,etc.Located in Western Mass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here