Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellygirl_73

Just bought our little farm!

kellygirl_73
20 years ago

We're on cloud nine- just put the downpayment on our very own 9.52 acres in the Missouri Ozarks. It has been so long since we have lived in the country. About 3 years actually and then it was only 1/2 acre.

There is nothing on the land but electricity & phone are right in front of the property.

Any tips on well drilling? There is suposed to be water near the surface. What about digging one ourselves? Realistic? What does a reputable well driller charge - by the foot or what?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Dicken
    20 years ago

they commonly charge by the foot and the well-casing size.

it's fairly easy to rent portable [two-man] well-drilling equipment, but if you intend to drill on mountainous ground you might encounter rocks which such 'light-weight' equipment can't overcome.

i dunno, hand-drilling seems to be something of a guessing game which i'm not very good at. based on my personal experience, i'd hire it done if that were anyway possible.

luck to you,

-d.

• pnbrown
    20 years ago

Congratulations.

I second hiring a professional well-driller. Hand-driven wells are strictly for unrocky ground with the water table within 30-40 ft. Very unlikely in the Ozarks, from what I've seen of them!

Have you read Sue Hubbell's story about bee-keeping in the Ozarks?

• kellygirl_73
    Original Author
    20 years ago

No! I haven't read that! I'm off to the library and if they can't get it for me then it sounds like something I need to think about buying...

Thanks!

• babanna
    20 years ago

Just one tip....I was stationed in Ft. leonard wood for a bit....plan for tornadoes...
    build a cellar of some sort. It may save your lives even 20 years from now. do the investment its worth it. I was on too many military clean ups from them...not pleasant.

Plan for safety! When you get your well drilled and are on the land email me and I'll send you some starters if you like (horseradish, chives, parsely...etc.).
    Happy homesteading. Live your dream!!!

• mom_of_5
    19 years ago

Congratulations! I feel and share your enthusiasm, we bought our "little" farm just 2 years ago here in the Ozarks. We haven't done much yet. We tried some chickens, let them free range, and they actually stayed around long enough to just start laying before a couple of wild dogs got them. What can you expect from a city slicker, lol. Will have to try better next time. Live and learn. I wish you the best of luck.

• Kacee
    19 years ago

Congratulations!

• myoneandonly
    19 years ago

We bought our little farm two years ago and just as soon as I can get my husband to quit, we are going to try homesteading too. Best of luck.

• pony65
    19 years ago

Oh, how absolutely wonderful!!! Congratulations!

I don't know anything about drilling wells. I've been researching water catchment systems lately.

Re: the tornadoes, DH and I have also been reading The $50 and Up Underground House Book by Mike Oehler. Some interesting options in there, whether you build it yourself or hire the work done, and they're supposed to be able to withstand just about anything Mother Nature can throw at you.

Blessings on your family!

Pony!

• kev56
    19 years ago

Just a small suggestion on the well casing. It may happen that your casing collapses. In that case you have few options. One would be to slide another casing inside the collapsed one saving you some $$ on drilling a new well. Doing this means drilling somewhat deeper than usual, only a few feet. A casing collapsedon one of the farms my grandpa owned and he just slipped another one inside the old one and put on another submergible pump. Problem solved and only a day or so without water. YMMV

Sponsored