Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dry mix recipes

Posted by gran2 z5 INDIANA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 22:47

I have to do a "lesson" on making your own mixes. I've done this before some time ago but could use some new recipes. I have things like rice-a-roni, pancake mix, tea and coffee mixes, cream-of-something soup, etc. Does anyone have any good unusual ones?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dry mix recipes

Perhaps you should check out some of the copy kat sites.....

o

Gran2
LOL! That depends on what you consider 'unusual'. My DD just recieved Mary Jane Butters Farm Girl book for her birthday ... jello salades are pretty 'unusuals' in Northern California. The DH is from Ohio so he rattled off all sorts of jello salades for her. She said 'weird' and I reminded her that is normal faire in the Midwest and to please call it 'exotic' until she tries some to keep an open mind (we did a can peach and mini marshmallow salade for her to try and she was delighted).
About the only type of mixes we do is when we are packing/camping and they are dried fruits and nuts or homemade dried soup/noodle mixes (I would try the Backpacker dot com for a recipe, most the time I just 'eye' it). We make jerky: beef, venison, tofu but it never reconstitutes up in a soup real well. Nothing too exotic or unusual by us. I guess you could also go to a backpacking shop and look at some of their freeze dried meals and experiment with creating something similar.

o

• Posted by gran2 z5 INDIANA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 0:17

Ruthie - internet surfing isn't my best thing. I've googled dry mixes, mix recipes, and a couple of others, but found nothing. Do you know of any one in particular that is good?

o

My mother has a cookbook called "Make a Mix". I did a Google search for "Make a Mix" and got lots of results. Give that one a try and see if there is anything you like.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here