Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulated stock water tank?

Posted by Anna264 z6 MD (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 05 at 9:40

I had an idea and was wondering if anyone had good input or advice. I'm wondering how hard it would be to insulate a stock water tank so it won't freeze in the winter. It doesn't normally get any colder than 10 degrees here in the winter. I was thinking of setting the tank on a piece of insulating styrene board, then framing the whole thing with plywood, leaving maybe a 1-2" gap between the wood and the tank, then filling the whole thing with Great Stuff expanding foam. I thought then perhaps I'd paint the plywood black to attract more sun, and probably cover part of the tank with either plexiglass or black-painted plywood so the entire surface wouldn't be exposed to the air. What do you think? Would it work? Anyone have any better ideas? The field is too far to run an electric heater.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulated stock water tank?

I haven't a clue really but I wonder if you wouldn't be better off filling the space with concrete or gravel or something like that to store heat from the sun...Even milk jugs filled with water or drums of water...

o

Here's some info.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Build A Freeze-Resistant Stock Tank

o

How big of tank? What kind of animals are you watering?

I water horses in a shed, with 5-gallon buckets hanging from a wall, twice a day. They freeze, of course, and I dump out the ice.

I water sheep on the ground, also with 5 gallon buckets. They freeze, too.

If there is no snow on the ground, the sheep buckets freeze first, and have thicker ice. Obviously, the horse shed gives protection from cold.

If there is a foot or more of snow on the ground, the horse buckets freeze first, and have thicker ice. The snow insulates the sheep buckets better than the shed does.

So, I believe that an insulated container could provide a lot of protection. Based upon how well the snow works, I believe you will not have much ice developing, and the ice you do get can be scraped off the top, or dumped out easy.

Your container needs to be easily separated from your insulated box, so you can dump ice, or clean, or refill easier.

Horses are hard on anything, and might likely destroy an insulated box. That's one reason I asked what animals.

o

Thanks for all the info, especially the link to how to build a freeze-resistant tank. That's exactly the sort of thing I'm thinking of. But I guess if I did a 35-gallon barrel, I'd need to build 2 of them. Jeffrey, it will be for 2 horses to start with. I figured foam isn't that heavy, so it should still be easy enough to dump the water to clean them out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here