Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cranberry15

adopting a greyhound?

cranberry15
15 years ago

Need some feedback here. We're thinking of adopting a retired greyhound from the track in Kenosha, WI. We've got plenty of space and our property is about 2/3 fenced. Any thoughts? What have you heard about these dogs? We're mostly looking for a pet here. We've got chickens and barn cats (and a squirrel/racoon problem); no kids. Neighbors have a young golden retriever and some other neighbors have a very sweet adult german shepherd. They tend to roam the area occasionally.

Comments (5)

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi cranberry15, I have adopted three retired racers and think they are wonderful! My suggestion is that you read all that you can --"retired racing greyhounds for dummies" is a 'greyt' book!. Then contact an adoption agency near you and talk to them about your situation. They will be the experts that can give you all the info that you need.
    gg

(ps-I am just a lurker here but had to come out to comment on your post. :))

• farmfreedom
    15 years ago

First they will be neutered , they have to be taught to climb stairs. They are adults they may attack a child in diapers or small animals because they have been trained to follow the mechanical rabbit.

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

I had a three year old in the house at the time of my first adoption and although she (the dog) was terrified of her, there were no problems because as with any animal we were careful and never had the dog alone with her (which I'm sure, would be what any responsible person would do with any animal).
    We now have a baby in the house (11 months old now) and although the dogs are curious about her, they show no signs of attacking her. Of course we are still being responsible about it and not leaving the dogs and the baby alone together, but we would do that no matter what kind of dogs they were. :)
    Our dogs are extremely laid back and gentle, but they are animals and are treated with the caution that they should be.
    When they come from the track they are entering a world that is totally foreign to them. They have lived in a cage and have never been in a house with all the things that we don't even think about....stairs being one of them. They are very intelligent and learn very quickly. The gratitude that they show for the love that they experience for the first time in most of their lives is so worth it! Adopting a greyhound is not like adopting a 'regular' dog. They do have different needs and requirements, but they are very worth the little effort it takes to learn about what those needs are.
    ***they make wonderful pets*** :)
    gg (who hopes that this post sounds like it was intended.....just informative about what my experience has been :))

• farmfreedom
    15 years ago

They have advantages: the lowest hip diplasia of all large dogs (98%hip diplasia free), quickest reflexes , good eyesight , fastest runners over short distances . I think the red brindle is the prettiest . they will still have to be house broken as they have always lived in a kennel .

• farmfreedom
    15 years ago

Greyhounds are the highest jumpers of all dogs able to clear a hurdle of over 5 feet . At least they will keep the jack rabbit population down . Let us know how you make out . They are worth having if you have a use for them . You also get a copy of his racing record ; and sometimes his racing colors . I would pick a fast one . good luck !

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths