Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kesaber

First step to homesteading

kesaber
9 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I was browsing through Youtube watching videos when I stumbled upon a few about homesteading. I was immediately sucked in by the idea and decided almost instantly this was going to be my next project. It didn't take me long to realize there are many different ways to live the homestead lifestyle, so I should specify what I am trying to replicate.

First I should mention that I don't like money. Making it, spending it, interacting with it, etc. I realize it isn't possible to avoid it 100%, but the closer I can get to that the better. I want to go back to the simple life before everything was justified by money. I do have money to spend to get on my feet and will spend it if it puts me in a better starting situation, but I wont argue with a cheap place. I want to build my own house, run solar panels, grow food, raise animals, etc

That being said, I am looking to be isolated. That could mean a couple hours away from a city or more, obviously cost will be a factor and I assume the farther from the city the cheaaper it becomes.

Ideally I would get a place in California just because that is where my family is. Although if it would be clearly better for me to go to another State I would be willing to do so.

For me, it seems like the two main things I should be looking at when deciding on the state/city is whether and soil fertility, and I'm not sure why these two are important. Intuitively I would assume a place with more sun is better since I could build a greenhouse to cool my environment, but I can't recreate the sun without spending money. Is this logic sound? Also is fertile soil only important because I can plant right away? I assume I can make bad soil fertile through some kind of care, or is this not the case?

I'm very new at this but very eager to get started. Any comments, tips, advice, anything at all would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• lucillle
    9 years ago

It would be pretty expensive to get enough land in California in many places to start a homestead, enough to grow food and raise animals.

If I were going to do something like this, before weather or soil fertility I would look into the political climate, what laws you may have to deal with in raising farm animals, property taxes.

Then I would look to see if where I was planning to move had commercial farming, and how that might affect my choice (spraying, etc.).

The simple life is an appealing concept, but in this day and age you can't pay for a doctor visit with a couple of live chickens, so you need to consider how much income you might need for medical care, veterinary care, expenses like fencing, utilities, and so on.

Your heart is in the right place, and by asking questions first, your head is as well. Good luck!

• kesaber
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A family in LA is pretty much self-sufficient using 4000 square feet. The only thing they buy is rice, which I would grow, and they have a $12 a month electricity bill with solar panels. Maybe it would need a larger start up cost, but I'm sure I could get it to free.

I'm not worried about doctors visits either. I appreciate you thinking about it and bringing it up as well as all your other helpful tips.

Anyone have any input on weather and soil?

• karateken123
    9 years ago

While California typically does have great weather and is a boon to homesteading, I'd be concerned about the current drought conditions and its long term effects. Growing rice, as well as other crops, seems like it could be a difficult task given these conditions.

• JoppaRich
    9 years ago

"A family in LA is pretty much self-sufficient using 4000 square feet. The only thing they buy is rice, which I would grow, and they have a $12 a month electricity bill with solar panels. Maybe it would need a larger start up cost, but I'm sure I could get it to free."

If its the family I'm thinking of, they also have a team of interns and volunteers doing a ton of work on the property. It's small space, but it's managed in an extremely intensive manner.

California has cheap areas (depending on what you think is cheap and what sort of income you have). Areas around San Diego are relatively affordable. Just can't be in the city, or anywhere near LA.

• kesaber
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would really like input about weather and soil as that is why I have posted. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. And no the family I am thinking of does not have interns.

Soil and weather please.

• karateken123
    9 years ago

Pretty sure that I was discussing the weather.

But, whatever.

• kesaber
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes you did talk about the weather. Good job. These were my questions:

"I would assume a place with more sun is better since I could build a greenhouse to cool my environment, but I can't recreate the sun without spending money. Is this logic sound? Also is fertile soil only important because I can plant right away? I assume I can make bad soil fertile through some kind of care, or is this not the case?"

If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it

• Charlie
    9 years ago

Kesaber if you are trying to escape the use of money as much as possible, CA is not a good choice considering taxes and the cost of living. Your best choices are the sothern states for their weather and their cost of living and taxes.

• zzackey
    8 years ago

I live in South Georgia and it is dirt cheap to live here. We just had our dirt road paved and our taxes didn't go up. We don't pay any school taxes here or animal control. It's a poor county and that takes awhile to get used to. The soil is not fertile, but you can change that. It gets very hot and humid here in the summer, but after living up north for 25 years it is a joy to live here.

• zzackey
    8 years ago

I would never think of using a greenhouse to cool things down. That would cost way to much here. It's 90-92 every day for at least 4 months. We are an hour from Jacksonville, Florida. There are a few quaint towns around. The people are extremely friendly and willing to help you in almost any situation even if they don't know you.