Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Urban Goat and Chicken Raising

Posted by saood z11-Karachi,Pakistan (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 8:31

Hi there!

I live in Karachi, Pakistan which is an urbanized place in Pakistan and the cost of land is just too much.

Assuming I have a 2 floor building plus the roof top (2000 square foot on each floor and the roof top), I was planning on using the 1st floor for my living, the second floor (which is actually just a big hall with just the four boundary walls) for raising goats and chicken and on the roof top doing my routine vegetable gardening.

My specific question of this post is that is it possible for raising goats and chickens inside like suggested above? Is such an arrangement workable without a significant financial investment.

Please spare me, if the question I have raised is stupid. I have never raised chickens or goats and last season was my first gardening experience (and it was very encouraging). Since it was encouraging I thought of expanding into the other areas, albeit on a small scale (2 goats and some chickens - 10 or so?)

Waiting for your valued comments.

Regards

Saood

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Urban Goat and Chicken Raising

I guess it would be possible. Would they be in air conditioning? Chickens have a hard time laying eggs when it is too hot. I know nothing about goats. They have tons of energy. I can't imagine them being cooped up in a small space.

o
RE: Urban Goat and Chicken Raising

Welcome on the journey to homesteading!

It is completely possible to do exactly as you suggested. You would need electricity in order to ensure your chickens received 12 hours of sunlight for egg production. You should probably lay back on the lights during the winter and fall to reflect sunlight hours in your region to give the chickens a break.

In selecting chickens, I would go for fuller bodied breeds. This would allow you to keep the hens as layers and slaughter the roosters for a decent meat yield.

Goats would be trickier. If you are set on not allowing the goat outside access I would focus on selecting a dwarf breed, or at least smaller breed. I would keep a pair of bred does. This would give you milk yield following kidding and if they birth bucks, you could harvest for meat or does you could add to your milking flock.

Goat milk also has unlimited potential when it comes to other dairy products; cheeses, kefir, yogurt etc.

PM me if you have any more questions. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here