Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bhaarer_gw

dairy goats

bhaarer
18 years ago

Hi,

I've been thinking about getting some dairy goats - specifically looking into the Nigerian Dwarf breed. Been doing a lot of reading, etc. Does anyone out there have first-hand experience with this breed, or with dairy goats in general? Any advice?

thanks!

Beth

Comments (10)

• gran2
    18 years ago

daughter had a couple of nubian does at one time and milked them. I'm told that nubians have naturally homogenized milk and some of the richest. We didn't have a basis for comparison, but were certainly pleased with the product. She milked twice a day and got 3/4 to 2 quarts per milking per goat. Very docile and easy.

• FlowerFan86
    18 years ago

I have a Nigerian/Pygmy cross. She is the sweetest little thing you could ever meet. She is VERY small. The vet said that I should not breed her so I do not know about milking her. She will jump up on your lap and loves to have her belly rubbed.

• FlowerFan86
    18 years ago

I should have told you to check out the Farm Life Forum. There are lots of people with goats there.
    Good Luck!!

• rabbitlover
    16 years ago

nigerian dwarfs being so small are hard to milk. The teats are to short to do it easily.

• jennijenjen
    16 years ago

Hello! I just discovered this forum and it seems to be almost identical to the Farm Life forum.

I've been researching goats for plans to move to a few acres and from many sources it seems that kinder goats would be perfect for both milk & meat.

They're a cross between a pygmy buck & a Nubian doe and a fairly new registered breed. I believe it takes breeding them 4 or 5 generations before they can truly be registered kinder.

Supposedly they have the best of both breeds without the tiny teats of a pygmy and better meat & milk than both.

If anyone has experience with these, I'd appreciate to hear about them. Here's a link to a good article about them for anyone interested.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/sanderson95.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Kinder Goat Breeders Assn.

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

I have an Alpine/Olberhasli. She is very sweet. We milk her twice a day and get about 2 to 3 quarts a day. She is very easy to milk especially when she has food in her mouth. I hear that most goats are like that. We also have her doeling (5months) an Alpine/Olberhasli/Nigerian she is a hand full a lot of energy. We have another doeling (4months) that is pure Alpine and she is very calm and easy going. I don't know if this helps. Goats are a lot of fun.
    Suellen

• sarahharris
    16 years ago

Hi

I presently have a little over 1,000 goats and have been a goat judge, and have raised every type of goat there is.

This being said Goats Breeds are a Personal Preference.

Nubian's have very demanding personalities. There milk is not homogenized naturally as stated above. This is a process you do do the milk. They are not real good mothers but give lots of milk.
    Alpines are smaller,and give a richer milk. They are one of my favorite dairy breeds. They do need a lot of feed and attention. but they are different colors, and very pretty.

Saanen's are amazing animals. They give lots of very rich milk and are big goats. They can also be used for pack goats.

Nigerian Dwarf goats are good milkers and good mothers.
    Not really my favorite. Small goats eat as much as big goats so why have something that doesn't produce well. Unless you just fall in love with them ---That's different and the best reason to get a goat.

Any pygmy cross is not going to be a great milker. Pygmys are primarily what I call a fu -fu goat and for pleasure.
    People that buy goats for meat will only pay about 20 cents on the dollar of what other types of goats are worth. However people that want cute, and a goat for their back yard will gladly pay way over market.

Other commom dairy breeds are --La Mancha, Toggenburg, and Oberhasli.

Do some research. But most of all when you fall in love with a breed or a goat it doesn't matter what other people like.

Sarah "My Small Farm Expert"

• jnssteele
    16 years ago

My personal favorite is LaMancha. Their personalities are wonderful.
    However in my experience (Has it really been 20+ years?), For a first goat the most important thing is to find an experienced goat person to help you find one that is easy to handle and milk. Make sure to be there at milking time and see for yourself how she acts when milked and how much she gives. Ask the seller to help teach you how to milk if you don't know. If they won't do this for you, don't just take their word for it.
    My nieghbor got really taken for a ride when she trusted a guy just because he went to her church. The guy used hobbles to milk and the poor goat kicked the heck out of my neighbor and ended up in the freezer. I felt bad for her (the goat and the woman). Her kids had come over and milked my goats, but I don't go to her church.
    Anyway, I have Lamancha(of course), Alpine/togg/saanan, LaMancha/Nigerian. Pure Nigerians do have teats too small to milk. They are like sheep teats and they cramp my hands.
    Goats are wonderful when you find the right ones.
    Good Luck!

• maryeaudet
    16 years ago

We breed Nigerians and show them. I love the breed for their sweet temper, and easy care. I don't think they do eat as much as larger breeds but that could just be mine. We feed about 3/4 lb of dairy ration per day, plus graze, and minerals that are choice fed.
    Our best milker gives 3 quarts per day (sorry, I know I should weigh it..I just don't) dwindling down to 1 1/2 qt before I dry her off for the year. We milk nine months.
    Another benefit because of their small size is that they are easier to contain and are great around children.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nigerian Dwarf Goat Association

• gardenbuff
    16 years ago

I have 4 nigerian dwarfs,2 mini nubians,2 nubians,1 reg.94%
    boer and 1 LaMancha/nubian cross..
    I got my goats to make Chevre cheese..I want to blend the
    different breeds milk together to make my cheese..
    I've made cheese 2 times this year and it was wonderful...
    I've bred 4 of my girls for 2008 kids..So if anyone is
    looking for some really friendly goat kids,let me know..
    I live in Ramona,CA..1 of my nigerian dwarf does is double
    registered Cloverdale Libbys Lucky Panda and I bred her
    to my little buck-Popcorn I still need to send his papers
    in ,but I guess I need to send his moms' papers in first..
    Popcorn's father was Ulee's Gold...And his mom has good bloodlines too..Her father was Twin Creeks Hurricane Bay.
    I won't ship the goats,you'll have to pick them up..
    The Boer is bred to my mini-nubian buck and so is the LaMancha cross and the other Nigerian dwarf doe.He's 75%
    nigerian dwarf and only 25% nubian..My nubians are waiting
    till their 1 1/2 before they get bred..because they are still to small,the breeder told me their father seems to
    put out kids that are late bloomers...I got them from
    Urban Acres in Poway,CA.....

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012