Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staying with the Amish

Posted by prairiegirl00 z6 MO (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 05 at 14:11

I received an email from a lady awhile ago - can't remember what the subject was and she said that she at one point was able to stay with an Amish family for 4 months. How does one go about staying with an Amish family if you're not neighbors or friends. I do not personally know any Amish- we have Amish communities within 2 and 3 hours of us but I would love to be able to stay with a family for a week or two to learn from them. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staying with the Amish

I wonder if you might check something like this out through the amish churches...

o

Perhaps you could contact The Budget in Sugar Creek, Ohio, which is a newspaper published generally for plain people like Amish and Mennonites. They might be able to give you hints or perhaps you could place a classified ad stating your inquiry.

o

I might just be imagining this,
but I think I remember seeing something about this years ago.
It was offered as a package thru a travel agency.
I could be totally wrong about this.
But it mite be worth checking out.

Pooh Bear

o

• Posted by gran2 z5 INDIANA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 21:26

Do you have an Amish community near you? How about posting an inquiry card at the local Amish grocery? Our daughter has several Amish friends. I somehow can't imagine this being possible without some severe guidlines. True, we've learned a lot just from a casual acquaintance. There's a wealth of knowledge there. Will you share with us if you finally make it happen???

o

I will do some checking into this. I will definitely post a message with whatever information I am allowed to give out if it does happen. Thanks to everyone.

o

• Posted by gran2 z5 INDIANA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 3, 05 at 22:51

Asked my daughter (the one with Amish friends) and she said "hardly likely" but then there are many groups of Amish, all with different disciplines. Go for the more permissive. Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here