Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunniesue

Where are homesteaders going these days?

SunnieSue
9 years ago

I was reading through some of the older forums and just wonder if there are any areas of the US where homesteaders are finding inexpensive land and lower taxes in this current economic climate. Seems like there is so much info on the internet about cheap places to live that just isn't true. I would like to hear from some homesteaders who have started up recently and how their experiences have been. I am in Eastern Pennsylvania and where I live there is no hope of ever buying land between the taxes and land prices. I have a little money saved up and am wondering where to go. I have some experience homesteading and know the difficulties. I would supplement my income with employment. Just looking to be as self sufficient as possible and not have to pay rent, water, sewer, and high food bills. I would also like to know how you went about finding your property. I wonder if it would be better to run an ad in a local paper stating my needs than running around with a realtor bidding on properties other people already made offers on. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (4)

• dreamgarden
    9 years ago

I was looking for property similar to this. I read all I could to see what areas might be best.

One book in particular stands out in helping me define what I was looking for. What I learned is that some places are beautiful, but the natives not so much. Some neighborhoods will welcome you with open arms. New housing developments, whatever. Other places like some neighborhoods in New England never seem to accept newcomers. No matter how long they live there.....

You need to know this before you sink a load of money into a permanent residence. Try renting, leasing, vacationing or house sitting in an area before you commit to it permanently. You may change your mind. The least you need to be able to do is know you can fit in so you can build relationships where you live. Read how a real estate expert did it. Hope this helps! Good luck.

"Gene GeRue was born in 1936, tractored in Wisconsin, soldiered in Japan, studied in California colleges, owned and operated a San Francisco East Bay real estate business, taught at a community college, sensed impending burnout, researched the U.S., found his ideal place in 1976 and moved there in 1983. He is the author of How To Find Your Ideal Country Home and the inventor of the chicken moat. He also makes above-average pizzas."

A link that may be useful:

How To Find Your Ideal Country Home
    http://www.ruralize.com/

• zzackey
    9 years ago

If you can stand the heat, humidity and rednecks, Georgia is the place to be. We pay no school taxes and only 40 bucks a year property taxes. I guess it's because my hubby is a senior. The air is clean and fresh. No factories or pollution here. Chicken houses are the worst smell and that is only a few times a year. Very low population. Lots of hunting dogs, you have to get used to the barking and infrequent target shooting. Lots of hunters here. We had good luck gardening and the rain has been frequent enough most weeks we don't have to water. The people are super friendly.

• greenman62
    9 years ago

I live in a New Orleans suburb.
    i was thinking of moving, so all my fruit trees are in large pots.
    LOL... cant make up my mind, and the pots get bigger :)

i was looking for 4-5 acres, but,
    since i still have a business in NOLA (real estate)
    i didnt want to travel to far,

or, would keep a small efficiency apartment for 3 days a week, and the rest of the time in the countryside.
    still not sure what i want to do, but i started planting fruit trees in-ground already.

i have bought property at auction before.
    often, there are real good deals.
    some may need work though.
    i used
    auction.com
    and got a great deal (3 years ago)
    and no, i am not affiliated with them.

• Charlie
    9 years ago

I believe the southern states are your best bet, since you can find cheap land; there is reasonable rain and warm weather; and the taxes and cost of living is comparatively low. The West and southwest is too dry and the north and much of the middle states are too cold.