Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help us figure out where we should move!?!

Posted by goodyweaver (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 23:32

Hi all - so glad to have found these forums. My husband and I are at a loss. We want to buy at least 10 acres of land for a minifarm sometime within the next 5 years. We'd like it to be as cheap as possible (while still being arable), and somewhere south of NY (we aren't into the cold). Our problem? We're total hippies - right now we're living in central PA in a really conservative area and are, socially speaking, miserable. Very few like-minded people around here, and the cost of farmland is astronomical (mainly due to it being amish tourist land)!! My husband is an electrician, and I'm a homemaker with a master's in counseling.

Not trying to bash more conservative folk by any means, but we'd really love to start looking for somewhere more progressive/liberal/"hip" that also happens to be rural and affordable. We used to live near Madison, Wisconsin - which was perfect for us aside from the fact that it is FREEZING FREAKING COLD!!! :) Every forum I've posted suggests the west coast, but buying land on an electrician's salary on the west coast seems like a sick joke! And everywhere that is cheap I've seen is also in a really conservative area.

Any suggestions? We wouldn't mind being within an hour drive of a progressive community.

Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help us figure out where we should move!?!

You could try Oregon. It isn't south, but it certainly isn't conservative--at least most of it isn't--and the winters are mild. It is said that there are more PhD store clerks in Oregon than any other state. There are places in Oregon with reasonable land as there are so few jobs that pay well. Progressives have driven most of the employers out of the state, but the Progressives who live there love it--that is why there are so many well-educated folks working retail; they don't want to leave!

o

you could try locational Astrology.

o

I'm loving North Carolina, but then I moved here from Oklahoma. I also like the DelMarVa peninsula across from DC and south. It does seem that all the towns or cities famous for liberal thinkin' are much more expensive places to live. Here the two liberal hot spots are Chapel Hill and Asheville and both of them offer low wages with way too high property values.

o

Wherever you decide to move, DONT MOVE TO CT. They will tax you to death.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here