Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aka_peggy

Advice please from those with root cellars

aka_peggy
20 years ago

I'm hoping someone here can give me some much needed advice...FAST!

DH and I were replacing the floor in the bathroom of our 62 year old home when we discovered a trap door...for lack of a better word.

We were amazed when we found a 2" thick cedar "lid" that revealed an old cistern 12' beneath the ground. The walls are brick and the floor appears to be cement. It's approximately 14' X 6' in area and it's in 2 sections, separated by a brick wall. The "ceiling is about 2" thick. In spite of all the rains we've had recently it's very dry down there and it seems to be in excellent condition.

In a few hours from now, the new bathroom floor will cover this lost treasure forever.

The only way to access the space then would be to demolish the cinderblock/brick wall separating the basement from the cistern. The cistern is around 10' below the basement.

I hope I'm making myself clear...it's late and it was a long day. This seems like a fascinating find, like finding a secret room....entirely underground. Gotta admit, I thought about the Jews during the Holocaust and what a great place this would be to hide. And I'm not Jewish. But anyway....

I'd like to know how difficult it would be to convert this space to a root cellar? I have Nancy Bubel's book but haven't had time to read it yet. So much to read...so little time..............

I have no experience with root cellars. If you could offer some advice, thoughts, I'd welcome your comments. Humidity? Temp? Problems?

Thank you for listening to me~

Comments (5)

• Maggie_J
    20 years ago

I'm no expert, but I'm going to put my two cents worth in anyway. I thnk that a cistern that far down is going to maintain its temperature at a constant 53 degrees, or thereabouts year around. I think it would make a terrific root cellar, especially as you say it seems quite dry. You might also be able to grow mushrooms there. It would be a shame to let that space go to waste. Great storm shelter too! What a lucky find!

• aka_peggy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks Maggie,

I'm so excited about finding this wonderful space. I've dreamed of having a root cellar for so long. I felt like a kid at Christmas when DH pulled that lid off.

I thought the temperature would be in the 50's...as you say. The humidity should be high too and boy is it ever dark!! Btw, I said it was 10' deep...but it's 12'. I keep looking at that basement wall and thinking of what's on the other side. WOW!

And mushrooms too, I hadn't thought of that. I can't believe how lucky I am.

• mcStargazer
    20 years ago

aka_peggy,

I'm smiling with joy for you at such a wonderful find! I
    read through the Bubel's book late last winter and it really
    opened my mind to food storage and year-round gardening.
    In fact, I am greatly increasing my fall/winter garden this
    year thanks to the book. Meanwhile my wife and I are
    making plans to build a root cellar in the next few years.
    Of course, since we live in Oklahoma, it will double as a
    storm shelter:)

One thing I learned from the book is that different foods
    have different requirements in temperature and humidity.
    Since I live in zone 6/7 most of the root vegetables which
    require moist and cool conditions should stay fine right in
    the ground. Therefore, I'm planning my cellar more towards
    the warmer, dryer type storage for nuts, seeds, garlic,
    onions, and winter squash.

Lastly, my best advice is to read the book in its entirety
    before you do a single thing to that wonderful discovery
    of yours. The book will help you design in the changes
    you really want...BTW, I'm still grinning.

• aka_peggy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks mcStargazer,

I'm still grinning too. Pinched myself just to be sure. Thanks for your advice, I think you're right about reading up well before proceeding. I started reading Nancy's book last night. Great reading, there's so much to learn about this. I intend to spend the winter researching and wait until spring to decide the best way to approach.

I think I'd like to stay more towards the warmer type storage as well. Like you, I'd just as soon utilize the ground for storing certain vegetables, why not? If I could store onions, garlic, shallots, some squashes, potatoes and seeds I'd be happy. Mushrooms are a great idea too.

Thanks again~

• judy johnson
    8 years ago

I have a small cellar/basement but it stays full of water in spite of all my efforts to keep it dry. I have two sump pumps and they constantly run in the winter as there is more rain then and in the summer it usually dries out but smells so musty. I had to replace the floor to my bathroom, which is directly above the basement because of rot. I want to fill it in but don't know how or who to ask. Any suggestions?

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996