Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvsparky

cleaning chickens

mvsparky
19 years ago

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. It seems to be a place that I would like to spend more time. My husband and I have lived out in the country for 25yrs on a small 3 acer plot. I have raise everything you can think of. From sheep to raccoons. Right now I am neck deep in chickens. 200+. I have a question. How do you get the darn pin feathers off these birds? They are about 3-4 months old. Have I cought them in a molt? Should I wait? and how long?I don't know to much about the molting time for chickens. any help would be appriciated. Thank You in advance.

Comments (8)

• sherryo
    19 years ago

I don't know about anyone else but when I helped my neighbour do hers recently,and when I raised some the previous two years,I used pliers.The feathers are usually so hard to grasp that the pliers were the only thing that worked well.Of course,if your chickens are all pinfeathers this might not be an option.What about skinning the birds? Sherry

• becky3086
    19 years ago

We just skin our birds, a whole lot easier.
    Becky

• garden_knome
    19 years ago

we used to pluck our chickens but just recently started skinning them. It saves alot of time and alot of work.

• tedp2
    19 years ago

My mother used to singe them by holding the plucked bird over an open flame and rotating it all directions till all the little hair like feathers were gone. A wadded up newspaper on the ground or in a fireplace will do.

• marys1000
    19 years ago

Couldn't you also use a small butane torch, welder type to singe off the pin feathers?

• tedp2
    19 years ago

Of course you can use a small torch to singe them but take more care as the flame is much hotter than a burning paper. You dont want to cook the skin yet. Lol
    If you're baking or deep frying the chicken. it does so much better with the skin on. Several years ago I skinned the wild turkey that I killed. When I baked it in the oven the outer 1/4 inch of flesh got really dry and tough.

• Belair54
    19 years ago

well, you can get a pinnig knife which will remove a large part of the pin feathers, you could use a chicken plucker which takes out all the feathers, you could skin them, you could use a propane tourch and singe them off, or just dunk them in hot water, pluck the dickens outa them and forget about it.

• Millie_36
    18 years ago

I can only assume that you scalded them...just below boiling point. And we always dunked the wing tips and tail feathers one more time. The pin feathers would release well enough to scrape most of them off with a table knife. The ones on wings and tail are a bit harder to do. Singing is for the hair on the bird, not the pin feathers. The problem may be in the killing method. If they are too stressed out, they will not release the feathers or pins very well.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals