Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More Chicken ?????????

Posted by Sewcrazynurse (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 03 at 11:29

Hi I have question about chickens............

What is a good kind to get if you have kids around.

What is a broody hen?

And a roos? is that short for rooster?

I'd like to have chickens next summer and need to learn lots!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Chicken ?????????

A broody hen is one that is sitting on eggs to hatch them. And yes, roos is short for roosters. There are lots of good chicken sites on the web where you can start to learn all you need to know about raising chickens. Just do a Google search or try the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Info

o

There's a few things that you need to decide on to help you choose the best breed for your purpose.

Some of the things that make a difference are:

Do you want brown eggs, white eggs, low colestrol eggs, colored eggs?

Will they free range or live in a chicken pen?
If they'll be in a pen then you want a breed with a calm personality if the kids will be gathering eggs.

If they free range will they have access to your garden?
Full size chickens can un-plant a garden fast! Bantams will scratch the bugs and weeds out without hurting the plants you want to keep.

Will they be for eggs only or eggs and meat?
Some breeds are great layers but not much good to go in the freezer. Others are good for meat but don't lay many eggs. There are some breeds that are multipurpose and will give a fair amount of eggs and fill the freezer.

When you identify the purpose the chickens will fill, then you'll be better able to choose the breed to fill your needs.

o

I had all the same questions and more (like, will my kids ever remember to feed them) when I first got my chickens. So when I called the hatchery to place the order, I asked for advice. I was definitely steered in the right direction with the Golden Comets we had first - sweet, gentle creatures, good layers. I think they're now known as Red Sex Link, though.

If you have a hatchery in mind, give them a call and see what they suggest. And good luck to you - you'll love having chickens!

katie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here