Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Controlling Bugs in Woodpile

Posted by jim_dandy z6 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 13, 06 at 14:03

Does anyone have any good tips on how to eliminate bugs from wood? All of my firewood is from fallen trees on my property. Most of the wood is solid but some harbors some pests. It seems wasteful to leave it to rot but I don't know what else to do. Sometimes I'll make a pile of buggy wood, wait till it freezes and throw a piece or two on a hot fire but I'm always afraid that some bugs or eggs will fall of on the way to the woodstove. I have considered putting diatomaceous earth on the woodpile because a few bad pieces always get mixed in and I don't want an infestation to break out but I'm not sure of the safety. I am fairly sure that most heat bricks used in woodstoves and kilns are made mostly of diatomaceous earth. With that in mind I think wood treated with it should be ok but I don't want to be wrong and accidentally poison everyone and everything near the stove. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Controlling Bugs in Woodpile

Diatomaceous earth should do a fair bit in helping. The only health concern is breathing it, but that's a fairly low risk as well. Wear a reasonable respirator if still worried.

If you aren't too worried about being organic- you can cover the pile with a tarp, seal it up well, and toss a bug bomb in there. I know a guy that has a sealed shed for this purpose- killing borers in osage that he sells as bow-making wood.

Really bug ridden, rotting wood will have poor heating value. If not dried well- it acts like a sponge, as well. Not good for creosote buildup. Don't feel bad about the "waste" if you really can't use it- it ends up in the soil and feeds other trees/plants as a normal part of the carbon cycle.

o
RE: Controlling Bugs in Woodpile

keep it raised OFF THE GROUND WHEN IN STORAGE.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here