Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawn_freak

Please allow me to Introduce myself

lawn_freak
18 years ago

My name is Eric aka lawn freak and I am a pure blood suburbanite Mcmansion living , SUV driving , chinese take out eatin, blockbuster movie rentin fool. I recently bought my " Mcmansion" ( I think thats hilarious - 1st I.ve seen or heard of that terminology - lol ) in Hartville Ohio. Now you may or may not have heard of Hartville , but around here its known as " country". There is a large Menonnite / Amish population that have worked the land , mainly feed corn and hay for years ( centuries probably ) and have little by little sold out to the developers and hence I have arrived.

Not being particularly used to following a tractor down the street on my hasty way to work at 8:00 ish am with my 10 million degree Starbucks double latte -, nor parking next to one( the tractor - not the latte ) at the supermarket, in the 2 years since I've moved out here , I must admit I have been smitten. Now dont get me wrong - I still prefer to buy my steaks already dead , but I have moved away from the Mega plex supermarkets and have been instead patronizing the locally owned , locally farmed and locally raised butcher shop and produce stands. There are lot of things I like about living in the country, but there is one thing I just can't figure out. That is why is that peole call the " farming " life " simple" living and the city life not simple living. It seems to me that the opposite is true. Farming is no simple matter, tending to fields, adjusting to weather patterns, water run off, sun angle, tending to animals, feeding raising and " freezing " them, and growing all of the different things that , well, you all grow is alot more complicated than living the get it now, bigger is better super sized , super fast tv coma world of the city. So perhaps you could explain that to me.

Anyway - I think what you all are doing or are aspiring to do is commendable and I think awesome. If I could convince the princess of a wife and talk the babies out of there daycare , kindercare surrogate I would love to live off the land as you all do. Tii then I will live vicariously through the internet at the speed of light all the time wondering what it smells like to you as you type me back :-)

LF

Comments (2)

• Millie_36
    18 years ago

I enjoy watching new-comers go through cultural shock when they move from a large city to SW MO. I have noted that the men are more apt to make the adjustment than women.

Since I grew up in the country (how about back woods) of the Ozarks, I think I can safely say that there just might be a bit of "don't you wish you had it this good" said tongue-in-cheek, of course. LOL Country folk are more inclined toward dry humor with a lot of under statement thrown in. As one old fellow who was roofing a house in Oklahoma July heat said to me, "reckon it will thaw on the North side today?" Much of what they know was passed on to them or learned the hard way, and truth to tell, many don't realize what a font of common sense knowledge they are. My grandfather, who was born in 1878 (that's right) always said he was a Jack-of-all-trades, but master of none. He had no formal education, but the man could figure board feet and knew if someone was cheating him.

Practical jokes are the order of the day. Stretching a story when dealing with a city person can be a form of low cost entertainment, or just how far can I go before they wise up. They love it if you see through them without getting mad and, better yet, give it back to them.

Those who move to the country should make an effort to get acquainted with the old timers and learn from them....the real country people. And, don't ever assume you can judge their real worth by what you see.

The simplicity may have more to do with values, which in turn leads to less stressful lives. Or, maybe I am just a dinosaur as a result of being raised by nineteenth century grandparents. LOL

• shawnee_sitter
    18 years ago

Living vicariously, eh? That's OK - probably how quite a few got their start to country living, self-sufficient lifestyle, homesteading; whatever you want to call this self-imposed pilgramage. Just take it easy, listen/watch folks around you. Don't have to embrace EVERYTHING at once. Learn a small skill as often as possible. Small gardening efforts, bramble fruits, fruit trees, etc. It'll get a hold of you; do NOT go out and buy chickens and goats to milk if you've never done these things before. I have done my best to find ways to be more energy self-sufficient and to practice preparedness through food storage, first aid, canning/freezing, gardening and all the skills this entails ie. seed saving and successful crop rotation or produce each year.I agree there is a wealth of experience and friendly people here that have a lot to offer. Remember this is not the ONLY homesteading site. As to the "sanity" of working as hard as some of us do to provide our own needs the secret is just that. Being independent, relying on ourselves; you value what you have more. I do at least. Anybody can dash in a store and buy cukes/tomatoes/bell peppers for family salad - but sitting at the table and eating your own is pure pleasure. If electricity goes off I still have water and plenty of lite on hand. Hand-crank and solar appliances are out there; it's a good feeling to be able to take care of your family and help neighbors. Welcome!

Sponsored