Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xena_z4

Size of acre

xena_z4
19 years ago

I have a newby question. I haven't bought land yet, and I've been thinking about what how many acres I want. I just realized I don't really know how big an acre really is. Roughly how big is it in relation to a city block? I've only lived in cities, so that is all I've got to compare it to.

Thanks,

Sonja

Comments (19)

• Pooh Bear
    19 years ago

An acre is 43560 square feet.
    This is a square parcel of land 208.71 feet on each side.

A standard city block measurement was established at
    6 city blocks = 1 kilometer.
    So 1 city block = 546.80665 feet.

So an area approximately equal to 4 square acres = one square city block.
    This would be one half city block wide and one half city block long to approximately equal 209 feet wide and 209 feet long.
    This is approximate.

Pooh Bear

http://www.mce.k12tn.net/measurement/measurement_chart.htm

http://www.wforum.com/online/length.htm

• tankshill
    19 years ago

Xena, My recomendation is to find an area near you where the parcels are about 1 acre. Check them out, the house size in relation to whats left over. I moved from the city to 3 acres and couldn't keep up with it. Our home and yard, for the kids, take up about a half of an acre. What do you intend to do with the rest? We have a small family orchard, a huge garden and are currently working on the out buildings and chicken coop. I live on a hill and some is too steep to use. So I guess my advice is to get out and feel the surroundings. Do you want to be able to walk the property? Or use a mode of transportation, ATV, Lawn mower, horse? Best of luck. Gina

• marys1000
    19 years ago

I have trouble with visualization and this is what I came up with.
    An acre is about the size of a football field without the endzones (the part behind the goal posts. Approximate but you can find one easily and stand there and think about it.

• huisjen
    18 years ago

A surveyors rod is 16.5 feet.
    A surveyors chain is four rods, or 66 feet.
    An acre is ten square chains.

Now go measure out 66 feet, or measure your house and look at how much 66 feet is in comparison, and think of ten times that area square.

Dan

• pink_carnation
    18 years ago

To get an idea of the size you really want I would try to find some people with different acreages and find out how they use them and what size works. Depending on what you do and the climate it will make a difference for upkeep.

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

As someone else suggested, you need to make a list of things that you want to do with it.

I live on an acre, have numerous vegetable and flower gardens, a rabbit hutch, DH has a shop and equipment shed with attatched garden room for me, and a 2500 square foot house.

We still have room to spare.

However, when I had horses and small livestock I lived on 23 acres. I used roughly 5 of those acres. Less than 5 acres would not have been enough.

• farmfreedom
    18 years ago

There are 640 square acres in a square mile . Figure out how many steps you take to go 209 feet and figure from there . Do not take the sellers word for how many acres he is selling most "EXAGERATE" OR DELBERATELY LIE, check it out at the city or town hall . Good luck!

• FogLily
    18 years ago

and to throw a monkey wrench in:
    a flat acre,
    an acre of gentle rolling hill,
    an acres in a river ravine or
    an acre on the side of a mountain
    ... an acre is an acre but not all acres are created equal.
    Definately look at your goals and dreams and the reality of the piece: Soil, water, weather, vegetation, neighboring impacts ... A person may think that they only need X acres but can the land truely substain those expectations?

• tedp2
    17 years ago

May I elaborate on what Foglily is saying? Those meaasurements are horizontal and apply to flat surfaces. On a slope an acre is considerably more than 208.71 ft. The steeper the slope the more ft. up to 45 degrees.

• mgtpa_clearviewcatv_net
    16 years ago

Greetings! I was doing a search on Yahoo about area measurements and came across your posting here on GardenWeb
    about the size of an acre. After reading some of the other postings thought I share my 2 cents worth. A football field is a little larger than an acre. Football field is 160 X 300 feet from side line to side line and goal line to goal line and that area is 48,000 sq. feet. An acre measures 43,560 sq. feet. That works out to be 1.10 acres equals a football field. Even if you include the endzones of a football field it is still just 1.32 acres. So hopefully that gives a little visual aid as to the size of an acre. So if you are looking at a building lot with 160 feet road frontage and 300 feet deep, that's the size of a football field or 1.1 acre.

• Synthrex25__yahoo_com
    12 years ago

When you are asking a questing about how large an acre is your answer may not be the one your long for. For instance i asked how many feet long and wide is an quater acre. Google gave me a square footage answer. Not what i had asked. So talk baby talk and just maybe youll get something close.

• Richard Pence
    7 years ago

i am not a professional but i was taught that an acre was 200 ft in width by 200 ft in depth. Depending on the shape of the property this can vary considerably.

• Denise Williams
    5 years ago

I have 1.08 acres I want to build duplexes on it how many can I build including a club house Thanks

• HU-332167369
    5 years ago

hello guys, I am pretty fresh at the gardening topic but I have a garden in my yard and I was looking for a proper tool to make some measurements for fencing it. I found this one GPS Fields Area Measure https://apple.co/2PdI9UT maybe you heard about it and have some remarks?

• Skip1909
    5 years ago

Go to google maps and right click on a spot on the map (if on mobile hold your finger on a spot to drop a pin), then click measure distance, then keep dropping points to make a square or closed shape, and it will tell you the length of the line.

The most accurate for fencing is to use stakes to mark corners and use a tape measure to measure the sides.

• HU-332167369
    5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion.

• HU-332167369
    5 years ago

Actually, my relatives tried it as well and they were happy to use this app. Try it: bit.ly/2q68GIz it is FREE

• HU-332167369
    5 years ago

I made a small research I found these two big boys: http://bit.ly/2q68GIz and http://bit.ly/2Ezuaro any remarks about it? maybe somebody tried it?

Sponsored