Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Size of acre

Posted by Xena_Z4 Wis (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 04 at 23:18

I have a newby question. I haven't bought land yet, and I've been thinking about what how many acres I want. I just realized I don't really know how big an acre really is. Roughly how big is it in relation to a city block? I've only lived in cities, so that is all I've got to compare it to.

Thanks,
Sonja

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Size of acre

An acre is 43560 square feet.
This is a square parcel of land 208.71 feet on each side.

A standard city block measurement was established at
6 city blocks = 1 kilometer.
So 1 city block = 546.80665 feet.

So an area approximately equal to 4 square acres = one square city block.
This would be one half city block wide and one half city block long to approximately equal 209 feet wide and 209 feet long.
This is approximate.

Pooh Bear

http://www.mce.k12tn.net/measurement/measurement_chart.htm

http://www.wforum.com/online/length.htm

o

Xena, My recomendation is to find an area near you where the parcels are about 1 acre. Check them out, the house size in relation to whats left over. I moved from the city to 3 acres and couldn't keep up with it. Our home and yard, for the kids, take up about a half of an acre. What do you intend to do with the rest? We have a small family orchard, a huge garden and are currently working on the out buildings and chicken coop. I live on a hill and some is too steep to use. So I guess my advice is to get out and feel the surroundings. Do you want to be able to walk the property? Or use a mode of transportation, ATV, Lawn mower, horse? Best of luck. Gina

o

I have trouble with visualization and this is what I came up with.
An acre is about the size of a football field without the endzones (the part behind the goal posts. Approximate but you can find one easily and stand there and think about it.

o

I generally visuallize an acre as roughly larger than half a football field.

For baseball fans, that's like 1/3rd a baseball diamond.

A soccer field is 1.98 acres - so half a soccer field is about an acre.

o

A surveyors rod is 16.5 feet.
A surveyors chain is four rods, or 66 feet.
An acre is ten square chains.

Now go measure out 66 feet, or measure your house and look at how much 66 feet is in comparison, and think of ten times that area square.

Dan

o

To get an idea of the size you really want I would try to find some people with different acreages and find out how they use them and what size works. Depending on what you do and the climate it will make a difference for upkeep.

o

As someone else suggested, you need to make a list of things that you want to do with it.

I live on an acre, have numerous vegetable and flower gardens, a rabbit hutch, DH has a shop and equipment shed with attatched garden room for me, and a 2500 square foot house.

We still have room to spare.

However, when I had horses and small livestock I lived on 23 acres. I used roughly 5 of those acres. Less than 5 acres would not have been enough.

o

There are 640 square acres in a square mile . Figure out how many steps you take to go 209 feet and figure from there . Do not take the sellers word for how many acres he is selling most "EXAGERATE" OR DELBERATELY LIE, check it out at the city or town hall . Good luck!

o

and to throw a monkey wrench in:
a flat acre,
an acre of gentle rolling hill,
an acres in a river ravine or
an acre on the side of a mountain
... an acre is an acre but not all acres are created equal.
Definately look at your goals and dreams and the reality of the piece: Soil, water, weather, vegetation, neighboring impacts ... A person may think that they only need X acres but can the land truely substain those expectations?

o

May I elaborate on what Foglily is saying? Those meaasurements are horizontal and apply to flat surfaces. On a slope an acre is considerably more than 208.71 ft. The steeper the slope the more ft. up to 45 degrees.

o

Greetings! I was doing a search on Yahoo about area measurements and came across your posting here on GardenWeb
about the size of an acre. After reading some of the other postings thought I share my 2 cents worth. A football field is a little larger than an acre. Football field is 160 X 300 feet from side line to side line and goal line to goal line and that area is 48,000 sq. feet. An acre measures 43,560 sq. feet. That works out to be 1.10 acres equals a football field. Even if you include the endzones of a football field it is still just 1.32 acres. So hopefully that gives a little visual aid as to the size of an acre. So if you are looking at a building lot with 160 feet road frontage and 300 feet deep, that's the size of a football field or 1.1 acre.

o

When you are asking a questing about how large an acre is your answer may not be the one your long for. For instance i asked how many feet long and wide is an quater acre. Google gave me a square footage answer. Not what i had asked. So talk baby talk and just maybe youll get something close.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here