Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are we considered homesteaders?

Posted by hoerlel z5NY (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 05 at 8:55

I have been reading your threads for a while and I am curious to know whether you would consider us homesteaders. We moved from a city to a rural 55 acre 200 year old home that had no electricity or plumbing except for a sink pump. Our nearest neighbors are a mile away. We renovated and added onto our saltbox and the house is completely modern with all the conveniences.

I grow our own vegetables and collect berries and uses anything that I can that grows wild to use for crafting. My dh is a teacher and also runs his parents beef farm. I recently retired and I make our own bread, pastas. mustard, cereal, cheese and ice cream. I never buy cakes or cookies or anything that I can make myself. I sew, quilt and various other needle crafts.

I always thought it was because we enjoyed the solitude and nature and making our own foods. So, what would you consider us? I never heard of homesteaders before this forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are we considered homesteaders?

You sound awfully close to to me, But, old time homesteaders didn't have PC's. Lol gotta get rid of it.

o
RE: Are we considered homesteaders?

I really think the inside toilet would go before my pc since the original outhouse is still present and functional, LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here