Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best place to start looking for a home.

Posted by MCapote3 none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 15:47

Hi all, I'm looking to move in the next 3 years when my daughter graduates Highschool and I am not sure where to start looking. Cheap is the key but cheap with my needs is where I'm not sure on what to look for.
I would like property with a house on it already. Has to have city power, water is fine city or well as long as its safe drinking and done already. I will add on solar or generator later but only as a supplement or backup. I would like around 2-5 acres. I would like it to be near huntable areas for game for food( as a backup). Ability to grow food gardens, able to have chickens for eggs and or meat. Also within driving distance to a major city as I work in I.T. and need a place that needs network administrators. Texas and Alaska are not an option according to the wife so I know that kills a big chunk of my area. Any help on what and where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best place to start looking for a home.

In my opinion, you have too many variables.

Lead me a bit..where are you now that you don't want to stay there? How far are you willing to move? One does not really need to be near a 'major' city now to work I.T.; many college/university campus locations have great tech situations. Examples: Santa Fe, NM is near Los Alamos - wide open spaces there; I live in Champaign/Urbana (home of University of Illinois) where the economy is mostly agriculture and 2-5 acres is easy to find, and the U of I Research Park is growing rapidly.

Is winter weather a limiting factor? What other things are you seeking for quality of life? Is there any other family proximity to consider?

You want cheap? Then the Dakotas or rural Maine might entice you.

Again, too many options. Advice is generally free from many people. Start with the folks you currently work with. Ask a local real estate agent who might have the network of other agents nationwide.

Jim

o

sounds like you are just starting to look /think/ dream about this project.
Read/study everything you can get your hands on and start trying to live at least some parts of the "dream" wherever you are. Are you groiwing anything now? Even herbs on the windowsills and sprouts in a quart jar? Hanging the laundry to dry?Cooking from scratch?
most libraries are full of info for free and a lot of lifestyle changes can be tried on for size without pulling the plug on your present life.
good luck

o

Here is something that I was reading about this morning,

Here is a link that might be useful: Why not move

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here