Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm new

Posted by MyTwoAngels Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 27, 04 at 15:51

Hi everyone! My name is Erin. I am new to this forum but I just had to introduce myself. We are not currently homesteading but that is our goal in the near future (hopefully very near!). We lived in the city and got sick of it. We moved out to the country and loved it! But we hit some hard times and had to move back to the city to save some money. We are currently saving money to buy some land and then slowly get it to where we don't have to pay a mortgage or anything on it. It is very much our goal.

I have been lurking here but I wanted to introduce myself to you so that you all know that you have a lurker that wants to be a homesteader (is that a word??)! LOL I hope to learn even more from you all and so hopefully it will make it easier for us whenever we move out to the country.

We do already grow our own vegetables and some fruit here. We are on about 1/3 of an acre here but we don't have any animals. We have a place set up in the back for a chicken coop and where we can put a cow. We just have to do a few minor repairs and then we will be doing that!

Erin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm new

Hi Erin...
This doesn't seem to be a very active website. I've only been checking on it for a week, but nothing new seems to be posted on homesteading or permaculture. Not much discussion.
Your goals are admirable.

o

Hi Erin...sounds like you are ahead of the game just because you have the real desire to homestead. Doing and trying is the important thing and it sounds to me like you and your husband are doing it the smart way...preparing...keep in touch and let us know how it goes....and what you are doing...

o

Is there any product or industry you could practice on your current property that would get you started for when you move on to a bigger property? (Customers, experience, cashflow...)

Do you have small cow breeds available to you? (Like the Kerry cows or jersey.)I can't quite see a whopping great Friesian in a small barn, somehow.

Mad thought for the day: have you looked at wasabi as a cash crop? (Used for making/enjoying sushi.)

o

Sounds like you have the same yearnings and determination to see your dreams through as do an amazing amount of people out here. Don't give up and don't settle. I too think it's great you have a large lot to garden with. My husband had a ranching/farming background but not a gardening yen. That changed 2 years ago with market gardening on the side and finally we found out after 25 years of marriage WHY we are compatible! Every year you will learn something different. Great luck, post often (this can be a slow forum)and we can all enjoy each other's experiences!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here