Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank_10b

buying a cheap computer want to use garden web more!

frank_10b
21 years ago

I am looking for a cheap computer. Anybody have any suggestions. I tried ebay without luck. What about all of these "old" computers from offices. How can I get ahold of one of them?

Comments (6)

• Marie_TX
    21 years ago

Are you close to a town large enough tohave a phone book? There are many Gap Computer franchises in small towns. Also there's something called "Everyday Solutions." These businesses set people up with whatever they need and can afford. Look for these or something similar. Otherwise drive into to nearest town to visit a Goodwill or a Salvation Army used goods place. Or check their phone books under "computers, used." My guess is a town of 5,000 or more will have a business like that. Good luck. -- Marie

• bruceNH
    21 years ago

My son buys used computers on ebay all the time, very cheap. They usualy need work. He buys them for parts and builds units out of them. He built my computer this way, with used parts, cost me $150.00. The computer works great and has alot of memory space. Keep looking, and look for a good computer tech to help you out. Most of the computers hes bought on ebay were from bussinesses.

• Marie_TX
    21 years ago

Today ENRON is auctioning off hundreds of computers. Most will be on E-bay within a few days. You have to be present at the auction to get them, but there is not a lot of market in Houston for used, un-checked computers. In fact, there is a glut. My son bought a perfect laptop to take to college for $100. So people are buying here and taking them elsewhere to sell or puting them on E-bay. -- Marie

• vjhale
    21 years ago

Try computer geeks website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer Geeks

• Kathy Johnson
    21 years ago

Here we have a local radio station that has a program called "the friendly show". People call in if they have anything for sale, something they're looking for to buy, lost or found animals, produce, etc. We also have a little free paper that lists the same sort of things. Check on something like that.

• spunbondwarrior
    21 years ago

hey frank, go to walmart.com and you can buy a brand new linux machine (microtel running lindows os) that will do anything you want or need for all of $229. don't fall for the endless lines from those who have never owned nor lived with a mac or unix variant regarding how you just have to run windows just to stay alive.... they are all lies.... i have lived in a windows-less world for quite sometime and neither have i been "left behind", forced to "do without"' nor has the sky yet to fall. windows is a big waste of money if your intentions are to web surf, read/write mail, and check out news groups or play games.

Sponsored