Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polly_il

Small Farm Show in MO 10/31/02 - 11/02/02

polly_il
21 years ago

Small Farm Today is holding the 10th National Small Farm Trade Show and Conference in Columbia, Missouri this next week - 10/31/02 to 11/02/02. Lots and lots of good seminars, and short courses too: Hoophouses, beefalo, bees, pastured poultry (Andy Lee), herbs, flowes - too much to name, but you can check it out through the link at the bottom. Hubs and I are heading over - looks to be a fun and interesting time. Maybe we'll meet some of you folks there...

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Farm Today Trade Show

Comments (4)

• Miss EFF
    21 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh -- I have heard this is wonderful! Unfortunately, we are off to a wedding in Colorado. I would love to go .....maybe they would drop me off on I-70. Wishful thinking.

Polly -- Fill us in on the good stuff -- Next year it goes on the calendar early.

Cathy

• polly_il
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Cathy, you really are gonna have to come next year - write down November 6,7&8 on your calendar! It was really neat! And the rest of you folks as well - tons of stuff for homesteaders!

I didnt get much in-depth information; but we both came home with a lot of ideas, and sources for more info, lots of web sites especially. IÂve already caught Hubs checking out some pastured poultry sites; and when my pad of graph paper went missing on Sunday I found it cozied up with a MenardÂs ad - looked like he was designing a barn to be made out of one of their metal buildings; and figuring out how to situate it for rotational grazing. So that got us to talking about using local materials vs a metal building; but I donÂt think weÂll be ordering one of those sawmills we saw operating any time soon - too many other things to want!

The fellow from Dadant got Hubs interested in bees, so he is thinking of spending some of his winter days out by the fire in his shed, getting our old bee equipment from our orchard years in shape. IÂm not complaining! IÂve always liked the bees - just ainÂt big enough to do all that lifting on my own.

Heard lots of info on rotational grazing and/or management intensive grazing for parasite reduction, grass feeding of stock year-round, better grass management etcÂ. Poultry breeding, saving antique breeds, hogs, diversification, beefalo, draft horses, stock dogs, alpacas (which had me reaching for my inhaler every time I got close!), soap making, red wattle hogs, at least 4 different poultry tractors, turkeys, rabbits, small poultry processing houses, fish farming - catfish in ponds and tilapia in greenhouses, hoop house growingÂ..

So, just in case you're wondering, yep - weÂre going back next year! Planning to stay a bit closer to the site - maybe even on the site if we can finagle a camper, or, even better, a heater for our box trailer. IÂm not sure that Hubs is brave enough to take a trailer along, though! At least, not a trailer and me both! A truck bed AND a trailer to haul stuff home in? IÂd think IÂd done died and gone to heaven! IÂve added a cookie tin to the fruit jar and coffee can savings accounts in the pantry - I sure did like the looks of those BSC small walk behind tractors, and I REALLY liked the small round baler that you could run with one...think I could make a bit of $$ around here with that puppy!

They had at least 4 booksellers there; and I helped ensure that they wouldnÂt have to pack up quite so much to take back home! Picked up some Logsdon books, and some permaculture ones, nutrition books, small farm books, and this really neat instrumental bluegrass CD thatÂs playing as IÂm typing this! I learned to buy the books I wanted when I saw them, instead of waiting - missed a couple that IÂve been unable to find on half.com by taking a walk around the arena area to think about them first - gone when I got back - bummer! Hey, maybe I could load the trailer with books to sell; and come home with other stuff! Except then, IÂd have to have someone to mind the booth, and I donÂt want to miss any of the good seminarsÂ

I bought some bars of lilac soap that IÂve cut in smaller slices and tucked away in my knicker drawer, and hung in little bags in my closet - what a lovely springtime smell! I closed my eyes while I was pulling on a bulky sweater against the cold and grey this morning; and suddenly I was out in the back yard among the lilacs and itÂs one of those heady spring days with the sun shine heavy on your head, bees buzzing in the lilacs and kittens tumbling Âround your feet, birds twittering and the scent of soil fresh turned for planting. IÂm talking some REALLY GOOD soap here, folks! IÂm gonna have to write on my calendar to go down to the locker plant and pick up some suet next spring when the lilacs are in bloom and try making some on my own (thus ensuring the soap folks a regular customer!!) Wonder where she buys her essences? HmmmÂ

I also met a really nice lady from here on Gardenweb - Hi Marilyn! (I swear I'll get that e-mail out today!) Hopefully, we'll be able to set up a meeting area for the various forum and magazine folks at next year's show - so if you didn't go this year, do mark it on your calendars for next year - I don't think you'll be disappointed!

• Miss EFF
    21 years ago

Thanks Polly -- Our trip to colorado was great --but I would have loved to go to the show.

I've talked hubby into more chicks for next spring and they will be antique breeds. Bees would be great for my gardens. I would have liked to heard more on that subject

I would have had a tough time with the book vendors too. Seems Barnes and Noble doesn't stock too many "farm" books. And small ag ventures are really forgetten by all but "Countryside" and "Motther earth News". I've picked up some books at used book sellers or antique book sales. Even though they are old -- they sometimes have some great info for a little guy like me.

Thanks for the update. I'll mark the calendar for next year. Fortunately -- my friends live in Jeff City --its only 45 minutes away. I'd have to bring the truck along cuz there are some great antique shops along the way. I always look like the Beverly Hillbillies driving down the road but I have found some great buys.

Cathy

• mogardener
    21 years ago

The nice thing about the Small Farm show is that you meet friends you didn't know you had and often run into old friends with whom you have lost touch as I did. The gravy is that you get to see and learn about lots of neat stuff too. I've attended the farm show almost as long as I've been back in Missouri and hate to miss it.

Yeah, Polly. I got the email this afternoon. Reading of your plans wore me out just thinking about them!

Take care.

Sponsored