Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theoriginalannebert

The real scoop on Da Good Life

annebert
21 years ago

I posted this at the bottom of the first post, but I bet no one will see it. The original presentation of the MEN story was wrong in almost all respects. Their house and land are paid for,(they built the house themselves) and they get a lot of their energy needs from solar power. Also the article says their income is $35,000. Here is an excerpt:

Their 1,350-square-foot home gathers two-thirds of its heat from sunlight. Electricity generated by six photovoltaic panels (each rated at 110 watts) is stored in 12 golf-cart batteries to power (in responsible usage patterns) the energy-efficient refrigerator, two computers, a VCR and a grain grinder. Compact fluorescent lightbulbs lend their light to cloudy or winter afternoons....

Drinking water is collected off a large shed roof north of the house. The metal roof directs the water to two 3,000-gallon, in-ground, concrete cisterns on the west side of the shed. For every inch of rain that falls, the cisterns collect around 1,000 gallons of water. The water is sent through a silver-impregnated charcoal filter, pumped clear and fresh with power supplied by Alice or David and a converted exercise bike. A few minutes of pedaling each morning provide enough water for the day. Alice and David set up the system to provide much more water than they use, even for laundry.

Water heating in their home is a true fusion of cultures: Cold water circulates to a Bosnian-made cookstove. The fire heats the water, which then flows into the next room where an Amish-style heat-exchanger keeps the water warm. Hot water from the stove rises, circulates, then sinks back down as it cools, only to be heated again. The water can stay hot for about 36 hours between fires.

The house and land used up most of Alice and David's savings, but in the end, they were left with a $35,000-a-year business, no mortgage, only a telephone bill and a small income from renting their Denver home."

This sounds like luxury to me. And I agree with all the previous posters about how little you can live on. Eliminating a mortgage/rent payment, driving an old car (mine is 15), and raising much of your own food does a lot.

Comments (2)

Sponsored