Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniew_gw

behind in winter preparation?

anniew
21 years ago

Is everyone as far behind in getting ready for winter as I am? Is it because it was such a mild September, and now October?

I just got the chicken coop ready for winter, but the garden is barely touched. Wood still has to be stacked, and the chimney checked. Greenhouse needs recovering, and fruit trees are still in containers. I feel like I could use another two months before the snow flies!

How bad are you?

Comments (5)

• prairie_rose
    21 years ago

I could always use another two months before the snow flies. LOL Hate the stuff and the cold.

I can relate to being so far behind. Have been in that same boat, myself. But not this year. We had such a lousy summer, there was not that much to do in the yard. Garden was done by the middle of September, and when I finished it, I got the pond done. Enclosed the deck, got the doors pulled apart and cleaned. In fact, this year, I am bored to tears this month, cause I do have most everything done.

Got the house reinsulated and the furnace and ducts cleaned in August, so that ugly chore is done. And, because I called before the peak season, I had it done on the day I asked. I am going to have to be this organized next year.

Tell you what,I'll give you a hand, at least in spirit. If you get a few more good days, will that help you get it done. I will put in a word for you with the Weatherman.

Rose

• Marie_TX
    21 years ago

The only thing I've done is return the mulching riding lawn mower I bought last year for a refund. It did not work worth diddly squat!!! I will want to buy one by March or April 2003. I have Ba' Hia pasture grass as my "lawn" and it goes dormant from October to March. At least it does not grow tall, but it does have a nice color to it. I have had people from the area ask me what it is because they struggle so much with St. Augustine and the other kinds. It's great!!! I will cut off the water to the out-lying pipes if a freeze is forecast. That will not be for a while here. I don't bring plants inside or cover them up any more. If they can't make it, c'est ca. -- Marie

• seraphima
    21 years ago

I'm waiting for my Jerusalem artichokes to arrive. Nope, haven't gotten the wood stacked or the chimney cleaned. Have gotten most of my harvest in except cabbages and turnips. Have got most new bulbs in, ditto garlic and other onions and shallots, and a lot of fall muching done. Season extending hoops and plastic are up. My son built a bunch of new shelves in a closet for a new pantry, but haven't gotten everything resorted yet. Think this last will have to wait for bad weather and time off work!

• chicken_lady
    21 years ago

I still have to do my getting ready for winter, window washing and take the screens down. Put the banking around the house, pull carrots and beets from the garden and pick all the brussell sprouts before the chickens get them(they have already stripped the carrots, beets, swisschard and large leaves off of the sprouts!) Also have potted plants that still need to be put in the ground before it freezes! Then I need to start mowing/shredding the fallen leaves that are starting to cover the lawn and spread some lime on it. Also rake the leaves out of the flowerbeds so they don't suffocate and rot my flowers....but it's getting cold out there! Winter is just around the corner! :-(

Cathy

• Peach_Fuzz
    21 years ago

I'm so far behind I can't stand it! Storm windows are still in the shed; compost bin needs to be emptied and spread on veg patch; shrubs need to be wrapped so the deer don't munch them down to nothing. If it ever stops raining/sleeting/snowing (which it's done for the past 2 weeks) maybe I'll get some of these things taken care of. It's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling like winter crept up without much warning.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH