Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_zn_5

anyone feel helpless.......

dan_zn_5
18 years ago

I'll try to make this short.

I'm 29, married, 3 kids, 5,4,1 1/2. Wife likes the country life style but needs civilization.(malls, stores, etc...) Started working at age of 12 picking tobacco. Have built houses, box maker, electrical since i can remember, 7 yrs in the USCG, milked cows on 2 different farms, worked on 2 different veggie farms, etc....... and seem to be getting no where. I'm presently working days on the farm, the owner, then myself running the crews, and nights, my "real" job. Have my house and 2 vehicals and our health. Every year i grow a decent size garden (important for the boys to learn, and the wife too)have 2 turkeys and 20 or so chickens. We sell excess eggs to friends and family for the boys to learn responsibility and to start them off with chores 1 1/2 yrs ago. Now the neighbors complained of my chickens last week so i was told to get rid of them 'cause i only have an 1/2 acre. I'm so frusterated and sick of people telling what i can and can't do on my property. I think i'm gonna look for some more land with a fixer-upper but everything costs money and i just don't know when or how i can get to my goal. Did anyone ever feel helpless or just stuck in a rut and not knowing where to go? I know i can, and will survive but my mind works a bit quicker than just about everything else.

Thanks for any input....

Oh, by the way, i've been reading the forums on garden web for over 5 yrs, but just recently decicided to join... Thanks to all the yrs of usefull info and good stories.

Dan

Comments (14)

• mjw15618
    18 years ago

I know the feeling....six years ago I convinced my now ex-hubby to build a beautiful log home on five acres in the middle of nowhere. He HATED it more than anything. For him it was too far to the grocery store, the mall, a gas station...and he wasn't too keen on all the work it took to keep the house and the property. Well, he stuck it out for about a year and a half before calling it quits. I'm proud to say that I kept the house and plan to die there!LOL! But I know that feeling of complete and utter frustration. Everyone told me that I (a mere 5'2" and a buck 10 soaking wet)would never be able to do it by myself - maintain a house, property, blah, blah, blah. Well, I thumbed my nose at all the naysayers and kept on keeping on. The locals were spreading horrible rumors about me, the best one being that my house was for sale. I had some guy come up to me at the gas station one day and ask me how much I was selling for, and that he'd been at my house earlier in the week taking a look around! He was trespassing and he admitted it! I told him to f*** off and that he could tell everyone that I wasn't going anywhere whether they liked it or not.

Since then, I've added chickens and goats to my menagerie and grow just about every vegetable we eat for the entire year. I have plans to eventually get off the grid using solar power and heat my home with something other than the natural gas that is costing me an arm and a leg. I'm seriously considering a corn stove. My friends call me the "unibomber" because they can't understand this desire to live self-sufficiently. They can't imagine a day without a trip to the mall or doing without a cell phone. They can make fun all they want as far as I'm concerned. I know how I want to live my life and raise my daughter - and if it takes me years to achieve my goals, so be it. All I can tell you is to hang in there! I've truly learned that where there's a will there's a way. Don't give up and good luck!

• booberry85
    18 years ago

I think there's more of us out there that can relate to what you're saying than most want to admit to. I have a story too that I'm not going to get into. Too long - and quite frankly, I don't want to put myself through hearing the saga again. Anyway, the last two years have been anything but easy. I threw myself into gardening and canning - not because I did either one particularly well, but because it was something I felt compelled to do. I think it helped me keep my sanity. I have gotten significantly better at both.

If it's truly something you want to do or feel compelled to do - STICK WITH IT! I am happy to say that things do seem to be slowly turning around for me and the DH.

Hang in there!
    Boo

• dan_zn_5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for both your understanding and encouragement. I jut love this area, but everything is just so expensive.(land) i just wish it were sooner than later. Thanks again.

Dan

• Eric_in_Japan
    18 years ago

Ask the neighbors who complained if you could just get rid of the rooster (which I imagine was the source of the complaint). Or you could barter eggs for your chickens lives. Did they rule out ducks? Khaki Campbells lay more eggs than almost any chicken, eat slugs like kids eat candy, and the drakes don't crow.

Maybe a privacy hedge would help keep you on your neighbor's good side. A lot can be said about the "Out of sight, out of mind." philosophy.

I find that if I look for problems, I find them. If I look for solutions and alternatives- hey what do you know- I find them too.

Sure hope things work out better in the future for you.
    Eric in Japan

• coriander
    18 years ago

Dear Dan,

You really have a lot on your plate. Three small children, a job, a wife, and a lot of work. Scale back a little bit and relax. Can you barter with produce or work for eggs? I am 65, single, live in south central Pa in zone 5. Heat with wood, grow as much food as I can, but sometimes you just have to step back and try to simply things. Yes, neighbors don't understand, but to me they lead a very boring life.

coriander

• mountain_curmudgeon
    18 years ago

Neighbors can't tell you to get rid of your chickens so I'll assume that it was an official from your town or village. Check the exact wording of the statute they cited. Most communities will allow a specific number of critters, pets or otherwise. Pare down the numbers rather than getting rid of all, if possible.

• lesli8
    18 years ago

Maybe you can scale down, just keep fewer birds, get rid of rooster that will give you away with the morning crows. Maybe one of the farmers would let you move on to their land? I sort of inherited 10 acres but had to pay huge sums of back taxes. Still cheaper than buying the land. Check into that...sometimes you can get property for back taxes, and often the tax collector will work with you and let you pay on a payment plan. It doesn't have to be a huge place to be effecient and out of the city with out loss of too many conveniences. You may consider something like earth bag construction instead of reconstructing a fixer upper. You can build what would amount to an adobe 24 inch thick walled house for the price of foundation, bags and roofing materials. You know the woven plastic feed sacks? they are filled up with soil existing on the land, depending on what it is, sometimes people have fines delivered or even crushed volcanic rock. layer with barbed wire for tensil stregnth and keep stacking, stucko over everything paint and voila` you have a house. I have seen pictures where they even build furniture into the walls--benches, tables, baths, beds. Just put some cushions and pillows. Have a house raising, get it done in a long weekend or heck even a month.... cheap.

• Maggie_J
    18 years ago

You have every reason to be frustrated, but don't give up. Until you can get into a place where you can fulfil your dreams, why not work around the authorities and their silly rules?

If chickens are out, why not raise rabbits? They are so quiet and unobtrusive that no one will even know they are there. They are easy to raise, prolific and will put some of the best meat you have ever eaten on your table. And the manure will make your veggie garden thrive.

Good luck... Hope things get better for you soon.

• FogLily
    18 years ago

Dan, Look into what the VA can do for financing if you decide to move on. It got us into our house in the burbs (which we could not do with other financial institutes). Several years later, with a good standing, we were able to use what we had buildt up $ in the house to put a down on our 'coming home' dream property in the country. Also talk with local credit unions could be more creative to your needs. I am not counciling getting into deep debt, just getting a toe hold. You sound like a hard worker and hopefully can get a break! Good Luck and Good Job at being a Great father (way to go!)

• mountainman_bc
    18 years ago

Get bees. Even if you're stuck in the burbs, they are great and they give me complete relaxation while working in there (you can't be nervous or you'll get nailed). If I ever 'had' to move back to the city I'd sneak in a few hens and a couple hives. You can pull off a few things secretly.
    I'd suggest moving to the country but the fact is there is less work, chances are slim you'll be able to pay a mortgage off by working your land. Good luck whatever happens.

• dan_zn_5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Once again, Thanks to all who have responded. Alot has been going on the past month or so. I did get rid of half my chickens to a farmer that wanted a few hens, and slaughtered my 2 roos and 2 toms (small one was 35 lbs). My grandfather is terminally ill, so i'm trying to help him and gramma around the house. I think as busy as i am, i'm starting to realize there's alot of life left to live and it'll happen when it's meant to. thanks again to all who replied...

Dan

• chiefgraybear
    18 years ago

Dan,
    I can fully relate to your situation. I was raised in the Central Valley of California back when it was common to have a garden, chickens, cows, and such in the back of your home. When I was 16 my family move to Los Angeles. Try to have a chicken THERE! We did manage to have a small flock without a rooster for quite awhile before the neighbors found out. Then they were wanting eggs. We managed to keep our flock until after I got married and left home. I currently live in East Tennessee on 5 acres that is UNRESTRICTED. I wouldn't have property that I have to adhere to somebody elses rules to live on. You didn't mention where you live. The other folks mentioned some good ideas about the property tax sale thing and having other animals to MEAT your needs. I wish you all the luck and patience that you can handle. Gray Bear

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

I've never been to this forum before - just stumbled on your post.

You sound like a real roll your sleeves up kind of guy. If you can prove some sort of steady income and you look really hard you could probably find an old ramshackle place that no one else wants. In that case the owner may be willing to finance it.

I have done that three times so far. 12 acres, then 23 acres, then 1 acre (I'm downsizing since the kids are gone).

Had to do all of our own plumbing, electric, sheet rock, etc. My children helped clear land with out the help of tracktors and so forth - we didn't have the money for all of that.

Yes, it was hard. It was also worth it. Plenty of our own land to do what we wanted on. Payments as low as $300 a month. You do need a good attorney to make sure that your sale and closing are all in your best interest. I have purchased all of mine with no money down.

When I look for property I look for the following:
    Outside city limits - no city taxes
    No zoning restrictions - nobody telling me what do do
    Well water - No water bill
    WORKING well - water is the one thing you can't do without

I heard an old man say one time " You gots your wants and you gots your needs". Your family needs warmth, shelter, and food. Doesn't mean it has to be a turn-key house. And one day a good parcel of land may be something you can pass on to them.

Don't give up!

• Agent_65
    18 years ago

Hey Dan . DONT toss in the towel , hang in there . We had to tear down barns and houses , to construct a 7 ft pri. fence around our 2 ac. Its a pain but worth all the work . I know you must feel like you dont have enough energy to survive another hrs work but its been worth it. Our neighbors are vicious and our friends have all but quit comming around .They do not self suffencey at all and are disturbed to say the least. Keep on keeping on.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz