Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie_tx

November Journal

Marie_TX
21 years ago

It's cool and perfect for outdoor work, so the task of cleaning up the yard from the felled trees begins today. I'll probably have a big bonfire on Nov. 5 , Bonfire Day in the UK. What are you all doing in November? -- Marie

Comments (6)

• degarden
    21 years ago

We've had an early snowfall today and as usual, people continue to drive too fast so, just driving about 12 km, I saw 4 accidents!!! Finally, drivers got the message and I got home safely.Still have carrots in my garden (Nantes, Healthmaster & Thumbelina). I am hoping this is just an erring in nature and temps will warm up in the week to come so I can finish harvesting. Otherwise, we are pretty much done as concerns outside activities. Catalogue time... Lise

• prairie_rose
    21 years ago

Haven't done too much yet this month, other than spend time in the dentists chair. Broke a tooth, needs a $1000 worth of crown and root canal work. I hate the dentist, get physically sick when I have to go, and now I know why! The price! LOL

We butcher hogs this weekend, and when we are done and I get my half home and in the freezer, I'll spend the rest of the weekend rendering lard. Think I'll get some more cabbage rolls made and in the freezer, as well. I also want to try another batch of soap, and DD and I will be doing candles. I have three days off of work with the Rememberance Day holiday falling on Monday this year. Yes, our town still recognises it as a holiday, and stores must remain closed until noon, so our little shop just stays closed for the whole day.

We are having a nice stretch of Indian Summer right now, and everyone I know who farms is out combining right now, including the SO, so I won't see him until he is done or the weather turns again, which ever comes first. LOL

Other than that, we are all tucked in for winter.

Rose

• Momothegardenhoe zone 5, Central NY
    21 years ago

Thankfully we've gotten a reprieve from the snowy weather and it has been in the 60's F. the past few days....good thing too...I was able to get my garlic planted that I left for the last minute and thought my chance of planting it was over when I saw the snow! Still have carrots and beets to harvest. DH and DSs were busy finishing the siding on the pole barn yesterday...DH built it with locust log poles, sided with hemlock that was sawn into boards with a portable sawmill...all the wood is from our property. The whole structure is 30' X 48' and is a thing of beauty! We've finished pressing apple cider and have about 50 gallons in the freezer. Still getting wood in for our two woodstoves, DH is cutting and splitting like mad. Today I will be picking up all the leaves I raked into piles a few days ago...they got snowed on...oh well, my shoulder needed a rest after all that raking anyway.

• anniew
    21 years ago

Finally got the greenhouse re-covered this afternoon. I was thinking it wasn't going to happen this fall, but it needed to be changed badly, as it had put in 7 years, 3 more than expected.
    Also got garlic planted and covered with straw last week, and asparagus covered a couple of days ago. Still digging glad bulbs, and piling leaves on open beds.
    I need to get more kindling for the woodstove, although I've only used it twice so far. Propane wall unit keeps the house warm enough until it gets below freezing.
    Eight meat chickens in the freezer. Started 10 just to try this year. One died, one has already been consumed.
    A half gallon of cider with honey added is sitting on the counter with an air lock...first time trying wine...don't know how that will turn out.
    Still plenty to do outdoors, and as long as the wind doesn't blow, still time to get more done.

• yonderway
    21 years ago

I, too, am doing a lot of tree felling and firewood chopping for next year.

Once the trees are out of the way I am putting up some raised beds and hope to get some garlic and onions in before it is too late.

I've also gotten started on a container garden with various herbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Information Dirt Road

• kendrab225
    21 years ago

I am cleaning up the yard. Will be stealing leaves this weekend. Also building raised gardens in front yard. I did a seed inventory yesterday. I can't wait for the new catalogs to arrive so I can plan next year's garden.
    Kendra

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH