Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Ginger Ale & Candied Ginger

Posted by Travesty34 Zone 5 / IL (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 7, 03 at 12:12

I thought this may be of interest to this forum.
Homemade Ginger Ale & Candied Ginger
2 cups ginger slices, peeled (1/8 inch thick)
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 quart soda water
1 lime cut in wedges
4 mint sprigs
Mix ginger, sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a slow simmer. Reduce mixture by 50 percent until a syrupy consistency is reached. Keep in mind that the syrup will thicken as it cools. Strain warm syrup. Allow to cool.
While syrup is cooling, make ginger candy. Take ginger slices that have been drained out of the syrup and completely coat in sugar. Spread on sheet pan and slowly dry out in a 225-degree oven for 3 hours. Ginger slices should be dried but still chewy.
In a tall glass of ice, add mint sprig and a ratio of 1 part ginger syrup to 7 parts soda water. Squeeze lime wedge and add to drink. Use more syrup if desired. Stir and enjoy. Can also make drink with chilled soda water and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a tasty Ginger Ale Float.

:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Ginger Ale & Candied Ginger

It sounds good, Travesty34...have to give that one a try. You wouldn't have a recipe for English style ginger beer, would you? The kind the kids in Enid Blyton's adventure stories used to drink by the gallon? (Loved those books when I was a kid.)

o

Thanks for that recipe. Have you tried the ginger candy? Is it sweet or bitter?

I like making hot chocolate from scratch too, but my kids like the store bought mix better. Sigh...

o

Hey, that is the same recipe I've used for candied citrus peels. You just have to boil and drain boil and drain the strips of peels several times (3-4) before you drench and simmer in the syrup. I use maple syrup and cut the sugar and water a bit. Grapefruit, orange, lemon, limes all work. Mine is a 17th century scurvey prevention recipe. Also a great way to recycle peels. Thanks for sharing.

o
Homemade Ginger Ale

There will be a sediment of grated ginger and yeast at the bottom of the bottle, so that the last bit of ginger ale will be carry ginger fibers. Decant carefully if you wish to avoid this sediment. Filter the ginger ale through a strainer if you find floating pieces of ginger objectionable. These are found in the first glass or two poured, and, since most of the ginger sinks to the bottom, the last glass or so may require filtering too. Rinse the bottle out immediately after serving the last of the batch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Ginger Ale

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here