Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Homesteading for $9k

Posted by ddsnow (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 29, 10 at 13:11

Probably looking for less than an acre. What would be the best place? Thinking I can get a camper for ~2k, use rain capturing for water or have a stream nearby. Building a composting toilet doesn't seem to hard either ~$500. Then taxation from the land would be ~$2500 for 50 years. Not sure the cost of getting a good harvest started.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Homesteading for $9k

Your life will be easier and more productive if you move to a place with a good growing season.

It's probably cheap to rent an acre or two where you can park a trailer and live on the land. Get a long term lease so you won't lose your work.

If you are going to live on captured rain water, you'll have to be where it rains a lot and rains all year. It would cost a bundle to have enough water storage to last you for months on end, especially if you need to irrigate. To me, that the southeast corner of the country. Plus there is along growing season there.

I have my doubts about being able to live with out some sort of sewer handling system. I suspect the health department will be down on you. Gray water discharge is illegal in a lot of places.

RE: Homesteading for $9k

Had a thought:

I just saw some ads for acre lots in Bonanza Oregon for $5,000 each, seller carrying paper. That's about 20-30 miles east of Klamath Falls. Weather is good, area is gorgeous. Klamath Falls has good shopping and medical and people to purchase your produce.

I know there are cheap acre lots east of Chiloquin Oregon, too, out along the Sprague River. There is a tiny town called Sprague River where land is cheap.

It freezes in the winter, but not too badly. Air and water are clean, scenery is gorgeous, people are decent.

You probably going to need to put in a septic system in order to get permission to live in a travel trailer on the land. If you like hard work, you can build the tank out of cinder block and the new leach line stuff is a snap (literally, it snaps together, no drain rock involved) to install, once the trenches are dug, and they can be dug by hand.

Klamath County allows old mobile homes (1970's and older). You can get old mobile homes for free in the next county up (Deschutes County) because they aren't legal in Deschutes County and can't be moved to a new location.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here