Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie_tx

Delina - ever get your flour mill???

Marie_TX
21 years ago

I've been thinking about you and your flour mill. I have done some grinding in preparation for the intense baking season. -- Marie

Comments (6)

• Modjadje
    21 years ago

Hi Marie ... Yes, it arrived at last about a week ago. I was getting very agitated about the delay by this eBay seller, but decided against posting negative feedback because he might just retaliate. Not worth it.
    No, I have not ground any flour yet, plan to buy some wheat berries tomorrow when we go into town. I'm looking forward to the experience as i have never ground my own flour before. I hope that the flavor will be as good as everyone says. Apparently the berries will stay fresh much longer than the ground flour does.
    Soon as I've had a bite of that freshly baked bread, I'll share my opinion on how the grinding attachment on the KitchenAid did its job, and how the end product fared in the taste test. Keep warm, and keep well! Delina

• Wingnut_8b
    21 years ago

I hate that "retaliation factor" on eBay. How about a "positive rating" but words that say "Took a long time for shipping despite cashier's check, but I'm happy with the product." ?

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between wheat berries and wheat? I've had wheat berries before and they're yummy! Would love to know so I may possibly figure out how to make them from raw wheat.

• Modjadje
    21 years ago

Yes, I ended up posting a Neutral feedback for the tardy seller with about the same language as you suggested.
    Re. the wheat berries ... I may be using the wrong term (English is my second language). Can someone please educate me and Wingnut on this ... Delina

• Modjadje
    21 years ago

Hi Marie, I used the grinder today to grind 4 cups of flour, and then baked a loaf in my breadmaking machine. It tasted so good that half of it is already gone!
    It did not dawn on me until today that one can probably only make wholewheat flour this way ... what if one wanted to bake a cake?
    Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving with all your kids around you. Delina

• Marie_TX
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I have made pound cakes with home-ground whole wheat flour and they were good; slightly more course than your regular pound cake, and a browner color, rather than yellow, but very good. To get the wheat hulls off the mills have special machines, somewhat like a tumbler. Rice mills use similiar equipment, from what I read. They're called polishers, I think. I'll have to do some more research to see if there is a home-spun way.

We had a great Thanksgiving even though the turkey took all day. It was 22 pounds and just wouldn't get done! I would never buy a bird that big; a friend got it free and gave it to me. It didn't fit in my roaster so I had to leave the top off and cover it with tin foil -- not a good method. We had turkey gumbo tonight though, made by three of the offspring, and it was heaven. -- Marie

• Wingnut_8b
    21 years ago

When I was learning to make bread by hand, I experimented with whole wheat flour. I came to the conclusion that things made with that would just flat out be heavier and coarser. I never did try to bake a cake with it, though. I'll bet it would still be good! Sweets are sweets to this fat girl. ;)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz