Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjalst_gw

Firewood question

pjalst
18 years ago

This is the first fireplace I've owned and i have a question. I cut some branches off an Oak tree(I'n not sure what type of Oak) that needed some pruning and cut the pieces into logs. I didn't split them because they were only about 4-5 inches in diameter. I stacked them and let then sit on a self in my garage for about a year. I thought that letting them sit for that amount of time would season them. I put them in the fire place to burn and they smoked up the place, they also took forever to light. Does this mean they weren't seasoned, they needed to be split or maybe the type of wood caused the smoke?

Comments (10)

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

Well lots of people do burn wood that has only been seasoned for 1 year...but...it is pretty hard to start a fire with even small logs like 4 or 5 inches thick....you really need a fire starter of some kind...it's called kindling.....small little branches or twigs that catch on fire rapidly.....or you need a piece of wood that is "rich" old and seasoned and really dry and ready to break into flames..the kind of wood that you find under the canopy of trees and wood that has naturally been broken off and has been lying there waiting for your to come along and pick it up......

My husband makes or buys little firestarters.they are basically wood shavings and parafin and you stick them under your wood and light them ...they last a good while and are usually more than enough to start kindling flaming.....

• huisjen
    18 years ago

It may just mean you have a fireplace that was designed to sell real estate rather than actually burn something. Even the ones that were designed to burn things aren't very good compared to a wood stove.

Dan

• pjalst
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No, I made sure that my fireplace was a working one. Besides, I'm not burning wood to heat the house. I use it to set the mood(I've been married 12 years, I need all the help i can get). On a serious note, I've burned seasoned wood that I've purchased and had no problem with smoke.

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

Well they will probably burn it you get them started but seasoned wood around here and on our ranch is left outside to season..the weather helps to season it....I mentin this cause you said you had it seasoning on a shelf..

Build a good kindling fire in the fireplace and I'll bet they burn just fine...

• Eggal
    18 years ago

So, the fire of forty summers lies waiting in those oaken logs, but just won't come out to play. Have you offered them some s'mores? More to the point, have you bought your wife chocolate? I would give the branches a little reading material, that's right, burning newspaper, to dry them out, stack the rest outside to dry in the free and open air, and then make meaningful eye contact with the lady of the house. Try foot rubs. And wash the dishes without being asked.

Do not, and I repeat, do not, make the romantic error of putting gas on those logs to get them going. Yes, the old manhood may seem like it's at stake, but nothing else says adolescent male in old man's shoes like a can of fire propellant and a pile of musty lumber. Near-death explosions are never sexy and may put the wife into such a case of the fan-todds that she'll never make meaningful eye contact with you again any time soon! Risking your life is not a turn-on when the person involved is the cosignor on your mortgage and car loan! Live, please, till your next payment due date comes around, I promise the wood will be dry by then too. Or at least by the time you both burn the mortgage.

Good luck and Godspeed!

• jenae077
    18 years ago

If the mood was worth it, I'd just go out and buy a cord of wood. Yes, a full cord.

• cap_mich
    18 years ago

Unsplit wood takes loger to dry, beacuse of the bark. (Natures protection) Hardwood (oak)takes longer to dry.

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

So tell us...did it work and did you do the nookie thinkg in front of the fireplace?

• pjalst
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wine works a lot better

• jenae077
    18 years ago

Hmmmmmmmmmmm