Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

50' utility and drainage easement

Posted by dweather AL (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 15, 03 at 19:04

I live in a small restricted subdivision (around 10 houses) that has a culdesack at the end of it. I own one of the lot's at the corner of the culdesack. It's a nice peaceful neighborhood. As the road ends at the culdesack, there is a 50' wide U & D easement that extends into a 40 acre hay field. The owner of the field wants to develop the 40 acres. Does the owner of the field have the right to put in a curbed road, which to my knowledge requires a 60' wide "right of way"? Is there anyway it can be stopped? There is a gravel road there now which allows the tractors in to cut the hay, which is great! But I'm frustrated by the fact that construction traffic through there will probably increase 300% or more through a subdivision that is already established. There is really no ties between this new "subdivision" and the one I'm in. Thanks for any advice.

Is there a difference between a right of way and easement?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: 50' utility and drainage easement

You have to go back to the original sub-division plans (you will find them at the registry of deeds), and see precisely what rights were passed on from the previous owners to the developers.

The 'field' and your subdivision were likely owned by the same person at one time, and so rights of way between the two pieces may well be reciprocal. I rather doubt that the easement has to be 60' wide to be paved. I live in a similar subdivision that was laid out over 100 yrs ago, has developed and undeveloped 'private' roads, public 'rights of way' to bodies of water, a divested developer, etc. It's extremely complicated and gray, nothing is certain unless it has been land-courted - at least in this state. I also have a corner lot abutting an undeveloped and partially undeveloped right-of-way making my lot effectively twice as large as denoted in the plan. How much control I legally have over these areas is highly nebulous.

If you are serious, hire a lawyer VERY well-versed in these matters for your state.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here